chapter 6: looking good knew you would

Can was starving. It was like he was making up for those first few weeks after Ren's arrival when he'd eaten less due moving less because he wasn't going to the gym and practicing, and he hadn't wanted to put on weight. Thankfully, that hadn't lasted too long, and somehow, he was now more active that he was before. He was going for a run every morning before breakfast while Ley was still in the house to watch Ren, then there was his PT training, football training, and the gym workouts that were compulsory for sports science students. Can went every other day before lunch. Today he'd spent an hour and a half working out because one of the professors was off sick and he'd had the extra time. Follow that by the afternoon football practice and he was sure he could eat for a week without stopping.

He swallowed a mouthful and looked up to find Type, Champ, No, Good, Ae staring at him in amazement.

"You haven't eaten with us in weeks and now you're finally here you barely say hello before stuffing your face." Champ's tone held amusement.

Can scanned the table, meeting everyone's eyes before shrugging and scooping up another mouthful.

"We should be grateful he's deigned to eat with us," No teased, a knowing smile appearing.

Can waggled his fork at No. "Halloo, I have a baby now. I can't come out with you guys every time."

No rolled his eyes. "I'm not talking about little Ren. I'm talking about how you prefer to spend your free time with your boyfriend."

"Oii, he's not my boyfriend!" Can pouted, playing to their teasing. He didn't want them to know how their good-natured banter towards him about Tin stabbed at his heart. "He's just a friend."

"A friend who you always choose over us," Champ pointed out with a smirk, stabbing a piece of tofu off Can's plate before he could stop him and swallowing it whole. He made a sweeping gesture to indicate everyone at the table. "Are we not your friends?"

Can narrowed his eyes and turned his attention to Ae. "Is Pete still flying home at the weekend?" he asked, liking how Ae's eyes lit up at the mention of his boyfriend. Pete had been away longer than planned due to a hold up with the medical procedure in Germany.

"Yes, he flies in tomorrow," Ae said, beaming.

As Can had hoped, the teasing switched to Ae and he was able to load his plate with more food before Type nudged his side saying quietly, "Nice deflection. Is everything okay?"

Can side-eyed Type. The man had seen right through him last time they had chatted alone, he'd seen what Can had been too stupid—or too stubborn—to acknowledge. Can nodded and gave Type his brightest smile. He could tell Type was not fooled but he was astute enough not to push further.

"Where is the not-boyfriend today anyway?" Type asked after a couple of minutes of them both observing the others discuss who they thought Manchester United should sign next.

"Company function." Tin hadn't been able to get out of it without causing a ruction with his father, so it had been easier to agree to go. He therefore had not been able to watch Ren while Can practiced today. Luckily for Can his mother had offered to collect Ren before as she had finished work early for a hair appointment. This had meant that Can had been free to go out afterwards with the guys.

Can couldn't shake off the feeling of guilt that he was out with his friends and not at home spending time with his daughter. It was one thing to leave her in the care of others while he was at college gaining his qualifications was vital to both of their futures but to be out eating and laughing with his teammates was a luxury for him now.

Can shook his head, trying to erase all the self-doubt. He turned to Type who was still observing conversation rather than participating.

"Where's Tharn tonight?" Can had only recently become aware that Type was in a relationship with another guy. No had hinted as much with his teasing of his best friend but Can had never thought any more of it. Type's business was his own. However, Can had been collecting Ren from the crèche last week and had bumped into Type and another guy as they walked past. Seeing them together it was immediately obvious that they were a couple. The way they looked at each other as Type introduced them, even with Can there, was almost pornographic.