chapter 9: when i'm misunderstood

A/N: This chapter is really short because I've made each chapter alternating POVs now I have to stick to it! Next one up soon.

Tin arrived at the hotel earlier than the arranged time so that he could swim a few lengths before meeting Can. The pool at home was still out of action and he really missed his regular swims. Ordinarily he would have picked up Can from his house but Can had said he had some things to do first and had insisted on meeting at the hotel instead.

Saturday afternoons in the hotel pool with Can and Ren was starting to become a regular thing. Tin looked forward to it for many reasons. The guiltiest one being that he liked looking at Can in his swimming trunks. The baggy clothes he usually wore hid a killer body. Footballer thighs and a trim waist, he was lithe and supple, muscles apparent but not in your face. He was fucking hot was what he was.

It was getting harder and hard to stay in the friend zone but Can had given no indication that he was unhappy with how things were.

Tin headed to the changing rooms to pee before entering the poolside area of the kids' pool. Can was at their usual loungers seated sideways with his feet on the floor hold Ren under her arms while she braced her feet on his legs. He was talking to her quietly as she bounced contentedly, squealing with laughter. They made such an adorable picture that Tin's stomach twisted with pure want—for them both.

As Can saw him the smile fell off his face as he watched him approach. Tin didn't miss the once over Can gave him before he turned away and said audibly to Ren, "Look, sweetheart, Tin's here."

"Can I take her?" Tin asked, holding out his arms. Can passed Ren up to him and the baby kicked her legs against his stomach in excitement. He kissed her forehead and turned her around so that her back was to his chest and they were both looking at Can.

"If it's alright with you I'm going to drink some water and rest here for fifteen minutes before I join you in the pool? I have a headache."

Tin scanned Can's face and decided that he did look a little drawn. He nodded at him and walked Ren into the pool.

After many minutes of splashing he looked over to where Can was on the lounger and saw he was fast asleep. He obviously needed it. He waded out of the water and took a seat on the lounger beside Can's, Ren on his knee he allowed himself to scan Can from head to toe. His face in sleep made him look even younger than his near nineteen years, long lashes fanning over his cheeks, his mouth a soft pout. Tin wanted to run his thumb over those lips, he thought he'd never get tired of looking at his face.

Can shifted on the lounger, mumbling something that sounded like, 'I don't' but without context Tin couldn't be sure.

Ren grabbed at Tin's hair, giggling, and Tin blew a raspberry kiss into her cheek, which was rewarded with joyous laughter so Tin repeated it. "Come on," he said, standing up and wading back into the pool.

Ten minutes later Can woke up and saved Tin's tired arms from Ren's weight, producing an inflatable rubber ring with holes for legs from nowhere. He lifted Ren into it and holding onto it he began guiding her around the pool. Tin bobbed in the deeper water watching them until over Can's shoulder he caught sight of the last person he wanted to see standing in the staff entrance watching him.

"I'll be right back," he called to Can and strode out of the pool, pausing to grab a towel before approaching his half-brother. "What are you doing here?"

"Just checking if the rumours that my baby brother has been bringing his boyfriend and his daughter here every Saturday." Tul smiled and Tin wanted to punch his smug face. "The three of you are just so adorable together. Too cute."

Tin took a moment to wonder which member of staff was reporting to Tul. If he ever found out who it was, he'd get them fired. "Excuse me, I need to get back to my friend."

Rubbing the back of his neck with the towel Tin walked back to the pool where Can was just stepping out. "Change of plan," he said, indicating with his chintz the spot Tul had just been standing. "Tul's back in town. Let's eat out instead of going to mine."

Can shook his head. "Come to mine. Ley is staying at a friend's and Ma is at Vit's until tomorrow."

:::::

Tin spent the remainder of the afternoon at Can's mostly playing with a tired Ren who had refused her afternoon nap or fussing an adoring Gucci. When afternoon became evening Tin ordered take-out and while they waited Can bathed Ren and managed to settle her to sleep.

Can appeared at the bottom of the stairs, his hair sticking up all over, gnawing his lower lip.

Tin could be obtuse at times but even he could see that something was off with Can. "Do you want to tell me what's bothering you or do I have to guess?"

Can halted and met Tin's worried gaze, looking away quickly. Before Tin could pursue it, their food arrived. Can fetched plates and cutlery and they sat at the table in the living room.

"What's wrong?" Tin asked again as they finished eating. He had decided to let Can eat before bringing it up again, a hungry Can was a grumpy Can.

Tin saw Can swallow, one of his nervous tells, before he raised his eyes to Tin and said, "I overheard Ma and Vit talking. They're planning on moving and there won't be space for us when they do. He more or less said Ma should have kicked me out for getting someone pregnant." He rolled his shoulders a rubbed the side of his face with his palm. "So yeah, I need to find somewhere else to live and make like I had planned it all along. I don't want Ma to feel guilty about it. She's happy with Vit."

"When did you overhear this?"

"A couple of nights ago." He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Is that what people think of me? I mean, Vit clearly thinks I'm some kind of moral deviant."

Tin would like to meet Vit and punch him in the nose. Or maybe he could get his friends to look into him and find something to hold over him or— Stop. He needed to calm down, he was not about to ruin Can's mother's fiancé. Still, it wouldn't hurt to get him checked out, just in case.

"No judgement here," Tin said, but still unable to stop the jealousy from rising up when he thought of Can getting Ren's mother pregnant. Even if it had been before he and Can had met. Like he didn't have his own sexual history behind him.

His phone rang then and when he fished it from his pocket it was Pete. He frowned and said, "I'll just take this."

Can stood and began to to clear the table as Tin greeted, "Hello?"

As he talked to Pete about the joint assignment they were working on and the field trip they were going on he heard Ren's cry and saw Can leave the kitchen and head upstairs to check on her. He was still up there when the call with Pete ended.

The sound of an incoming message distracted him. He checked his phone to find no message and saw that Can's phone, abandoned on the table, had lit up. Without thinking he picked it up and the short message was visible.

The message was from No: pls stop ignoring me, am so sorry about the kiss

He was still frozen, staring at the message when Can returned. It was happening again. Why did Can never choose him?

"Tin, what's wrong?"

"I have to go," Tin managed, trying to keep his face neutral despite the nausea churning up his insides. He held the phone out to Can who took it, confused until he saw the message.

Tin was at the door when Can called after him, "Tin, wait! It's not what it seems."