chapter 19: hiding behind a lie

A.N: I honestly don't know what happened. This chapter was supposed to go so differently but the boys were having none of it!

I swear I haven't watched a soap opera in years but this chapter is like an episode of EastEnders crossed with Dallas. Try to imagine some dramatic music at the end of the chapter! :::::Brief mentions of mental health issues in this chapter.

:::::

Tin drew courage from Can's hand in his, from the trust he had placed in him, in each other.

He pointed at Lhew, "You. If you think you have even the slightest chance of taking Ren, you are sorely mistaken—not that anyone here believes for one moment that you genuinely want her. You only want to get your twisted revenge on Can. Not happening."

Lhew sprang to her feet, all fiery eyes and long silky hair, on the surface as stunning as Can had described. "I'm her mother. I have rights! I made a mistake giving her up. I want her back."

"What did Tul offer you?"

The surprise was back on her face again before the acting kicked back in. In his periphery Tin could see Tul shifting in probable discomfort and knew his instinct had been right. "No one offered me anything. I just want my baby back."

"Tin, darling, calm down. A child needs it's mother."

Tin laughed bitterly and turned his eyes on her. "Did you really just say that to me? What about the child standing right here in front of you? When have you ever been there when I needed you? I am only your son when I'm doing what you want." He glanced at his father for a moment, registering the guilt stamped on his face, then took his attention back to the woman whose last motherly duty towards him had been birthing him. "What about Tul when you made sure his mother left him behind when she went back to England?"

Mother drew a breath ready to reply but Tin held up a hand and she remained silent even though he could see it was killing her.

He looked back at Lhew.

"You signed a several legal documents waiving all rights to the baby. I've had it triple checked by my lawyers and it's one hundred percent watertight. Your parents made sure of that after they sent you for several months of psychotherapy to make sure that you understood the implications of not keeping her. The therapist diagnosed you with narcissistic personality disorder. There's no judge in the land who hand custody of that child to you." Tin threw a triumphant glance at Tul who was now looking uncomfortable. "Now that you know that. What did my brother promise you?"

Her beauty slid away, and her true face was revealed. "Can. He promised me Can."

"It's not in his power to make that promise!" Can took a step towards her but Tin squeezed his hand and he stalled.

"We have a baby together. I love you, Can, please..?"

"We don't have anything together and I'm never letting you take Ren." Tin squeezed Can's hand as reassurance, proud of Can. Ren was going nowhere. "I'd like you leave. Now."

Lhew picked a figurine off the nearest sideboard and threw it at Can. Luckily it missed him my quite a margin and smashed on the floor behind them. Tin's mother screamed something about priceless sculptures and his father went for the door and called for security. Lhew went for a vase next, aiming it at Can again and Tin pulled him out of the way and in the process put himself in the line of fire. The pain in his head was sharp as the vase caught him about the eye and everything went fuzzy.

:::::

Tin awoke to the sensation of someone grasping his hand and stroking his wrist and the sound of woman shouting and crying. He opened his eyes and the first thing that came into focus was Can's face.