Taehyung made a bold move and grabbed his wrist lightly, a bit awkward as he had to reach with his left hand, but his point got through anyways. "Don't," he started, meeting the younger's eyes. "They're cute."

Jungkook scoffed while fighting back a smile and looking away, trying to act as though his words didn't speed up his heart rate by a fraction. "They're-" he shook his head "They're ridiculous. I need to take them ou-"

Taehyung pulled his hand down, smiling a little bit. "Keep them. Please."

The older didn't know why he liked them so much, nor why he was so persistent that he keeps them in, but he did know that it would make the conversation a little easier. Something about a muscled man with his hair tied into two braids was just a mood lightener, and he thinks he needed this.

Jungkook poked his cheek with his tongue, mulling it over in his head. "Okay," he nodded, "But only because you insist!"

This made him smile just a little bit more, his eyes lighting up for the first time in days. "Okay."

Taehyung realized after a couple more seconds that they were still standing in the open doorway, eyes glued to each other's faces as their hands were still linked. Coming to this realization, he dropped the younger's hand and cleared his throat. "Uh, are you thirsty? Or hungry? You can come in, by the way, make yourself at home."

Jungkook grinned and stepped into his penthouse, immediately taking his shoes off. Taehyung was used to what came next as he closed the door behind him. The look of amazement on the younger's face as he glanced around his abode. His jaw partly dropped as he scans the lavish furniture and the marble counter tops, the pristine floors shined in the monochrome home of black and white with varying shades in between. It was like stepping into an old film, everyone told him.

After his initial bout of amazement, his face twisted into confusion and he looked like he wanted to say something, but he bit on his lips as if he were struggling to hold back. But Taehyung knew how curious this man was, and how painful it must be to try and hold back his words, so he broke the silence for him.

"You have a question, what is it?"

Jungkook's eyes widened as he turned toward the older, his lips still sealed between his teeth. "Nothing," he mumbled out quietly. Bullshit, Taehyung thought.

He sighed and gave him a pointed look. "If you want to say something, say it. The worst I will do is not respond." This relaxed Jungkook a little bit as he licked his lips which had become a little red from how hard he must have been biting them.

"Okay, uh, first of all, you have a really nice place. Like, this is beautiful, really," he said, avoiding what he wanted to ask. "But uh, you are, were a, um, artist, right? So why is there no..." he trailed off as he gestured to the space before him, not wanting to finish his sentence.

"Art?" Taehyung supplied. Jungkook nodded timidly. It wasn't the greatest topic to talk about but if he's going to start being honest with the younger, he might as well start now. "After my accident I obviously couldn't paint anymore and I didn't like living with the reminder that I could never do that again. It's a simple thing, removing all the art on the walls, and I suppose it helps some. Of course there are other reminders but any little bit helps." He nodded, finding his response suitable.

But the other still looked confused. "Couldn't it serve as motivation?" he asked innocently.

Taehyung didn't quite see where he was going with this. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know," he said, as if he really didn't know, but he did. "I guess if you couldn't paint, maybe seeing the art on the walls every day would serve as a goal, or a reminder to work hard and you'll get back to that." The younger didn't know what else to say as Taehyung processed his words in silence. "But I wouldn't know, you don't have to listen to me. Half the time I just say random things that don't make sense and I end up offending or confusing people so just pretend I never said any-"

"Jungkook," Taehyung cut him off again. "You don't need to explain yourself to me. I get it. Here," he gestured to the couch that was in the living room, "Let's talk."

***

"I feel like I'm going to ruin your couch by sitting on it," Jungkook said as he timidly sat down, sinking into the unbelievably comfortable grey sofa.

Taheyung chuckled, "You won't, don't worry about it. And in response to your little question, I understand what you're saying, but I also think we process things differently. You're very positive and sunshiny happiness while I'm more of a pessimist." Jungkook tilted his head at this.

"Why would you want to be a pessimist though?"

"It's not that I want to be..." he trailed off. Who would want to be a pessimist? "I guess life just screwed me over one too many times and I'm stuck this way."

"You're not stuck," the younger urged, "You always have the opportunity to look at things in a different light."

Taehyung smiled, "Yeah, I suppose so. But I don't see much changing for me any time soon."

"Why's that?"

Taehyung sighed. Here he goes. "I actually called you over to talk about that..."

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

Jungkook sat back and turned his body towards the male, giving his full attention, Taehyung appreciated that. "I'm listening."

***

That was rough. Yeah, definitely rough, Taehyung thought. But he got it out, he said everything. Well, not everything, not about how he broke his hand, but everything else.

"That's...that must be awful. I'm sorry you had, or have, been going through that. Wow, I never would have guessed. I really thought you were sick," he continued to gaze at the older, though his stare didn't change. Taehyung thought for sure he would look at him differently, with pity maybe, but he didn't, his eyes still held the same look of endearment, maybe with just an added bit of understanding.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry for lying to you. Or, I guess Yoongi lied to you but I would have said the same thing. And I again, never want to hurt you, ever. So I figured by telling you all this you would understand a little more? Or if you don't want to deal with me you can leave and pretend we've never met. I'll understand." I really hope you don't leave.

"Of course I understand," he said like it was a no brainer. "And I won't 'deal with you'...I'll support you. However you'll let me, I'll be here." He said it with such confidence, such sincerity, that Taehyung couldn't believe someone like this existed apart from Yoongi. "And besides, Jieun likes you, remember? That means I have to like you, no matter what." The sly grin on his face told Taehyung he was trying to lighten the mood, and it worked. It got a smile out of Taehyung.

"So can we reschedule?" he asked hopefully. "I'd like to make up for what happened."

Jungkook smiled, his front teeth that strangely reminded Taehyung of a bunny making an appearance on his face. "I think Jieun would love that,"he said.

"So if Jieun loves it, that means you do too, right? Because you're the same person?" he teased, referring to their earlier text conversation.

"Yeah," he scoffed, staring into the other's eyes with a glint in his own, leaning his arm against the couch where his hand went through the pigtails. "I would love that."

"Awesome," he whispered, feeling his heart lighter than it's been in months.

"Awesome," he repeated.

____

A/N
I promise there'll be more Taekook soon, but we have to remember that this is more than a Taekook story, it's a journey through Tae's struggles as he finds himself in a new world, and his mental health is more important than a possible new relationship at this point. But it will be changing😌