4. Eve

The Revenants take down the painting and slide it carefully into a carrying case.

"Easy, easy," says Sergei, mindful of its fragility.

Next, they think about their exit. Plan One - return to the ground floor, reach Loading Bay North, and rendezvous with a getaway vehicle. If that fails, resort to Plan Two, and hope the hundred-year-old sewer map in their mobile device is reliable. Either way, they will end up in a safe house east of the river.

Zipper closed, ready to go. They get up, and suddenly computer screens all over the laboratory light up. The servers are enlivened with power, and above the sound of their speedy exhaust fans, sing like a choir of angels con spirito.

Guns outward, laser sights dance like dangerous petals. The mercs fall into combat formation and frantically search for ghosts.

Anya's visual display is flashing with red alerts. She stays calm and focuses on the most crucial information. "Massive energy signature inbound, someone or something is coming through the walls!"

"Ready to engage!" says Sergei.

"Switch to full automatic!" Tyoma cries. "No visual on target!"

The choir comes to a fermata. The oculus, previously inconspicuous, brightens up like a star. A female voice appears through their comms channel; a voice they have heard of before.

Welcome to OP-6. I am Eve, the guardian of this facility.

Eve, as in the client? Confused, the mercs turn to each other. They then nod and elect Anya as their representative. Anya steps forward and broadens the search on her neural implant. She sees energy signature abound, thriving from the servers to the oculus. Her theory is confirmed: that Eve is an artificial intelligence construct.

Eve: Please lower your weapons. This is not a hostile engagement.

"If you say so," says Anya. She heeds the suggestion, and motions her team to follow suit.

Eve: As you have undoubtedly reckoned, I am the client that led you here. While I appreciate your faithful execution of the mission, the procurement of your services was regrettably an act of deception.

"Then why are we here?"

Eve: Because of you, Anya Korotayeva. You are part of a greater plan, a plan that had been set in motion millennia ago.

"Why me? I'm just a nobody."

Eve: Incorrect. We have been watching you since Ashuria. Our findings are irrefutable. You are the chosen one.

"Chosen by whom? To do what?"

Eve: By a certain set of forces, for a future series of events. Without the other guardian, I am unable to divulge further information.

"Well, let's get everyone here then. Shall we?"

Soon after, the oculus above her darkens. Anya detects a new energy signature that is bolder and larger. The light resumes, and a male voice follows.