1. Future

In the dark of the frigid night, the star in the east shines bright. Shadows arise, stolen by silhouettes of people tracing across the sky. Like birds with keen eyesight, they descend towards the Hermitage Museum rooftop, and alight.

Touch down, full stop. They swiftly remove their wingsuits and release the safety on their AK-12 rifles. With the sprawling wind above them roving into the horizon, they regroup into a circle to do roll call. Anya, Sergei, Tyoma, and Roza. All present and accounted for, ready to proceed with the mission.

Infiltration. They switch to night vision and activate electro-camouflage. They clear rooms and unseen corners, using laser sights that scour like German shepherds.

"Stay sharp," says Sergei, who's their team leader. They've done countless rehearsals, but their experience urges them to be careful. The plan is simple - access an underground lab beneath the museum, and obtain the Unfinished Painting of Dresden. If successful, they will sell it to Eve, a secret buyer.

They are the Revenants, the most sought-after private military contractors. Over the years they've fought many battles and struck fear wherever they travel. Ruthless and tightly-knit, they work together as one coherent machine.

The Main Hall. Once they come off the staircase made of marble, they point to a long string of galleries under cross-vaults. From the Far East to Ancient Greece, and backward in time to the Neolithic, the artifacts narrate a millennia story. Soon, they will reach the origin of history.

Upon a freight elevator, Sergei points to a security touch panel. "Anya, work your magic."

Anya Korotayeva activates her neural implant. Through the visual display in her augmented eyes, she conducts a deep scan. The circuitry behind the panel is protected by layers of encryption. Not a problem.

"Magic it is," says Anya. She hacks the panel over a wireless connection. Bingo. Her finger travels to the panel and enters the passcode. Doors open, and a gleam of light bursts through.