Chapter 107

Suddenly my lips are against his.

And then, within seconds, it's over. "What the hell are you doing? Get away from me!" I begin to panic when I realize that nothing happened, nothing changed. Peeta's still fighting the restraints, still screaming at me. But I can't hear his words anymore. I can't hear anything but ringing and the muffled sound of footsteps. There are arms pulling me back now. I leave with them without a fight. I don't think I can do much more.

"Katniss!" I can hear Haymitch scolding me, but I can't seem to focus on anything. The only thing I can picture right now is Peeta in that depressing hospital room alone, tied down to a bed. How did I let this happen? I could have stopped it.

"Haymitch, something's wrong," I mutter. "Something's wrong, we have to help him!"

"What are you talking about?" he asks. I can see in his old gray eyes that he's sincerely concerned for me.

"Peeta. When I kiss him when he's like that, his eyes change. They turn blue and he comes back to me. It didn't work. Something's wrong! Please, tell them to stop," I sob. "Make it stop. . ." I'm screaming the same words over and over again; something's wrong. I know it is, and I'm so terrified that I'll never get Peeta back now. That I've lost him at the hands of the Capitol. Again.

"Katniss calm down!" Haymitch says. There's yelling and running around me. Then, I feel the prick of a needle in my arm and I'm surrounded by a wave of darkness.

***

When I open my eyes again, everything is blurry for a second. I'm in a hospital room with white tiled floors and chipped white paint on the walls. There's nothing in here but the bed that I lie on. "Peeta. . ." I whisper. I wonder how long I've been asleep. Judging by the darkness outside the tiny window on the far side of the room, I've only been here for a few hours.

The wooden door opens slowly. At first, I'm tricked into thinking that it's Peeta. Instead his three nurses walk into the room carrying trays. My stomach sinks and hot tears sting my eyes. They carry a syringe, a glass of water, and an assortment of different tubes. The tubes get attached to my forehead, similar to the way Peeta's were. "Now, this next hour isn't going to be fun for you, dear. But we have to help you."

There's something in her words that send a shiver down my spine. I shut my eyes when the nurse brings the syringe closer and closer to my neck. As soon as I feel the pinch, they leave the glass of water and scurry out of the room like mice.

My vision becomes cloudy and I start to see spots. I think im about to pass out when I begin to see images of Prim, Finnick, and Peeta. I see the mutts and the parachutes. I see Boggs lying on the pavement in a pool of his own blood. "Not real," I whisper, trying to fight this. Wiress is singing her clock song, Rue her four note tune.

"No!" I scream, when the spear from Marvel's hand is launched into Rue's fragile body. I know I'm screaming now. The images, the songs, the deaths all bounce around in my head. My father is laughing for a split second before I see the mine shaft explode before my eyes.

And then it's Peeta. I see his thin and swollen face on the screen in District 13. His eyes are focused on a white rose that is placed in his bruised hand. I whisper his name over and over again, as if I'm in some sort of a trance.

I just about fall off of the bed when I feel someone touch my arm. My eyes scan the room and my eyes adjust quickly to the darknees that surrounds me. My vision comes into focus and for a split second I still believe that I'm still hallucinating. Tears spill over my eyes uncontrollably. Peeta stands before me, his eyes bright with concern. I wheeze his name breathlessly and throw my arms around his neck, violent sobs spilling out of my mouth. My body shakes violently, but I can't decide why. Shock? Relief? I decide that it doesn't matter. "You're okay!" I say. I shut my eyes tight and take a huge breath of air. He's okay.

"I'm okay, it's alright," he whispers, holding me protectively in his arms. "I love you, Katniss. It's going to be okay."

I nod slowly, taking everything in. My hands still shake when I pull myself off of the bed until he's holding all of my weight. My toes touch the ground and I lift myself up to kiss him. He doesn't pull away, and now I'm confident in the thought that he never will. "I love you too, Peeta," I sob. "I'll never let them take you again. I promise."

I've already ripped the wires that were hooked up to my forhead. They sit in a jumbled heap on the floor. I know the doctors are probably watching, but I don't care. I could care less about all of them now.

"It's all going to be okay," Peeta says, moving his hands in circles around my back. "We're safe now."

___________________

Sorry, short chapter, but hopefully you liked it anyway. Here's for all of my wonderful readers who want peace for Katniss and Peeta (trust me, I do too. But I've had these last few chapters layed out in my mind for months now, so I guess you just had to be patient ;)) Anyways, be sure to vote and comment your feedback! I love your guys' feedback <3

-booklover2019