Chapter 10

Peeta

The news begins to sink in about Haymitch and Gale. Of course, I don't care that Gale is dead, but I know Katniss will. Haymitch, on the other hand, is different. He was my mentor. He got me through the Hunger Games. Now he is gone.

I look over to Katniss. She is staring straight ahead. A little scrap of paper floats down to us. It's so small I almost don't see it. I pick it up, and scan my eyes over it slowly. One word.

Snow

My mouth falls open and I pass the note to Katniss. It can't be President Snow. He's certainly dead, he was either trampled by the crowd that had gathered for his execution or he choked to death.

I look at Katniss, her facial expression changing quickly. She drops the note and it slowly floats completely to the ground. She looks at me, her mouth ajar, as if she's about to say something.

We stand here in silence, looking at eachother, communicating with our expressions.

"It's not Snow," I say, finally breaking the silence between us.

"How do you know?" she asks. "It would've been like him to blow up 12 and send in that poisonous fog."

"Because you saw him die. He is dead," I say. I'm torn. I want to be optimistic. I want, more than anything, for Snow to be dead. But on some levels, Katniss makes a point.

"Then why would the note say Snow?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's part of a letter. Someone got a letter that had something to do with it snowing. It isn't the President," I say. Katniss nods and sighs deeply.

"Where are we going to go?" she asks, changing the subject. I hadn't thought of that. Both of our houses are destroyed. We have no where else to go.

"I have no idea. A different district," I suggest.

"I bet they've bombed them already," she replies, focusing her eyes on the ground.

"They couldn't have bombed all of the districts. They have no reason to."

"Then why did this happen to twleve?"

"I don't know, because we're here." I say.

"I thought that was over. We aren't supposed to be enemies to everyone anymore. I mean, I practically saved Panem!" she says. Her voice is beginning to get louder. She does that whenever she was mad or whenever she's trying to prove a point.

"We should see if there's anyone else alive." I say, changing the subject again.

"There isn't anyone."

"Maybe there is. We have to look."

"Fine." Katniss sighs. I know she doesn't want to see her home in ashes, again.

I kick a few rocks while we walk through the district. Nothing moves besides pieces of burning wood falling, or the trees swaying in the wind.

We walk through the entire district, with no luck in finding anything worth saving.

Suddenly, a loud hovercraft appears overhead. A ladder is lowered down through bottom until it almost touches the ground. Katniss is reluctant to grab it, but she does anyway. I grab the rung right under her and the ladder begins to rise back up again.

At the top, I look down. I'm not usually afraid of heights, but I feel dizzy looking down. A person that I can't see helps us into the hovercraft.

I hear a person take a step behind me but before I can even turn around, something hard hits me over the head. I hear Katniss' faint scream before I black out.

I know, another short chapter. And the cliffhanger AGAIN. But I hope you liked it anyway! Be sure to vote!!! :)