Chapter 59

Katniss

And then the guns go off. I immediately drop to the floor of the control room, Peeta next to me. He pulls me close to him and covers my back with his arm. Another gun shot. And two more.

I try standing but Peeta pulls me back down. I try to stand again, but Peeta is too strong for me. "I can fight!" I hiss.

"No, Katniss. You'll be killed!" he says. I manage to break free and grab one of the guns sitting on a table

"Katniss!" I hear shouting behind me. I know I can kill these people. I will.

I turn the corner and almost collapse. "No!" I scream on the top of my lungs. I see a person dressed in all black with a black mask stand a few feet away from me. I cock my head and squint my eyes, as if this isn't really real. This man is holding Ruth by the arm. But why? Why is she here? It's a dream. It must be. "Katniss!" she screams, tears rolling down her face.

But I know it isn't just a dream the minute the gunshot rings out. I instantly lift my gun and shoot and kill the soldier. He falls to the ground, limbs sprawled around him. I drop my gun on the floor with a clang and scramble towards Ruth. She's barely alive. I know what's about to happen. I put her head in my lap, and look down at her.

"Katniss," she whispers.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, trying to hide my fear with anger.

"I came. . ." she coughs. "I came to see you." A tear slips from my eye and rolls down my cheek.

"Shhh," I whisper. She shuts her eyes tight. I swallow and try everything I can, not to start bawling. "It's okay."

"It hurts. . ." she whispers. I wipe away an unwanted tear from my cheek. "Sing that song? Please?" I am about to say no. It would all be too familiar. But I have to agree.

Deep in the meadow

Under a willow

I pause and swallow again, holding back tears. She sighs, covering up her gunshot wound in her middle with her hand.

A bed of grass

A soft green pillow

No. No, she's closing her eyes. I whimper and hold her closer to me. I can't keep singing. I can't even talk. My mouth just hangs open, tears running down my cheeks. 

Then Ruth's eyes open again. I see her chest rise and fall one last time. Her eyes turn glossy, and the warmth leaves her body. I cry out and kiss her cheek. "Goodbye," I whimper. How did this happen? It still feels like a dream. I back away and stare at the dead man who killed her. I hunch over and put my head in my hands, attempting to control my breathing. The tears begin to fall, one by one. The few tears turn into many and that turns into full out bawling. I hear footsteps come towards me, but I don't move. I don't look. Just kill me. Do it. It would be a favor. Just please, do it now. Take me from this place.

I feel a hand on my back. "Shh. . ." I can hear Peeta's voice above me. I don't look at him. More footsteps. More consoling whispers. I don't acknowledge any of them. 

"Katniss, you have to stand up," Peeta says. I don't. I stop crying, but don't move. I stay here, lying on the floor, staring straight ahead at the wall. "Katniss, listen to me. Can you hear me?" I still don't move.

Prim's voice rings in my head. Whatever it takes to break you. It's not just about Peeta anymore. They are doing everything they have to break me. And now, they have succeeded.