Chapter 128

Katniss

Almost instantly after Ayanna gently hands Willow back to me, I'm ushered into a ruby red car. Before I slide into the backseat of the vehicle with Peeta, I catch sight of Ayanna and her daughter and mouth the words thank you. I don't get a chance to glance back again because as soon as I'm in the car, we make our way through the Capitol's winding streets and towards a seperate building. There, we will be dressed and made-over for tonight's ceremonial interview. Today is probably the most dreadful part of the entire trip. I hate the thought that I'm going to be shoved in a glamorous dress and coated in makeup, just for the sake of the cameras once again. I truly believed I left all of this behind me. Of course not, this is the Capitol and ten years ago, I was the face of their revolution. Haymitch was right when he told us that the Victory Tour would last forever. I'm still here and these people are still celebrating my victory.

I run my fingers over Rue's blanket again. I look at Willow, who lies asleep in Peeta's lap. I hold the quilt close to my body, afraid that it will somehow escape my grasp if I don't. I try my best to block out the talk between Haymitch and Effie. Whatever they're saying, they are probably arguing; it's nothing new.

I rest my head against the one-sided glass, studying the buildings that fly by us. I attempt to place where exactly we are based on the shops and landmarks I see, though it's almost impossible. Practically every building here has been refurbished or rebuilt since the war. When we turn, though, I see the place where Boggs got his legs blown off. I turn my head quickly and shut my eyes. Although it looks different now, it has been turned into some time of public garden, I couldn't miss it. I look at Peeta, who sees it too. He must remember because tears are forming in his eyes. My hand finds his and he blinks the tears back. I kiss his cheek and rest my forehead on his shoulder.

It's only a matter of minutes until we reach the seperate building. It's not far from the park we passed, so it must be new. Otherwise, I think I would have recognized it from the war. I look down at my feet before stepping inside the door. Below my shoes, is a bleached orange colored tile. I know that it must be an old disabled pod. I lift my head and walk through the doors before I let myself think about it anymore.

The inside of the building is far more elegant than its exterior. The lobby is a wide room that smells faintly of lime and mint. It's complete with various types of seating in several different colors. There are three golden chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and five tall windows on the far wall. An elevator with golden trimming waits open for us in the corner.

Peeta and I step inside; my mother, Haymitch and Effie sit in the comfortable-looking couches that are strewn about the lobby. I look at him for reassurance, still clutching the blanket in my fist. I haven't explained it to him, but he doesn't ask questions. I'm not sure I could manage to explain that the piece of fabric I hold was once my dead ally's.

Willow begins to stir so Peeta begins rocking her slowly in his arms. Seeing him with her brings me a joy I never knew was possible. When I see him, my husband who I love more than anything, and my daughter, who matches the affection but in a completely different way, together, it's as if all of the wretched things that haunt me from my past disappear almost entirely. I tell myself that this is why I went through it. They are the reason I fought away the demons of my past, who still manage to occasionally find their way into my present. This is the reason why I wake up every day. Without them, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be anywhere.

I begin to think back to the day I killed Coin and went to take my nightlock pill that once was embedded into my mockingjay costume, then again to the night when I almost swallowed the nightlock pills in my bedroom. Both times I was stopped, no saved, by Peeta. And I will never stop owing him for that. Because if I took the tiny little purple pill that was named after the berries I almost killed myself with in the arena, my beautiful daughter wouldn't be here. Of course, I won't tell her that. I'll tell her some of the things that I took part in, like the Games and Prim and the rebellion. But no, I won't tell her about how her mother was once depressed or her father was once hijacked. It would only scar her. I will tell her about her aunt who I loved, still love, so much. I'll tell Willow about how she was my little duck, someone who for a while was my only source of happiness. I'll tell her about how I met her uncle, and godfather, Haymitch and why he has nightmares too. I'll explain her Aunt Effie and why she still dresses a little bit funny, no not nearly as hideously as she used to. I will tell her about Annie and Finn, and why Finn doesn't have a daddy like she does. Peeta will paint her pictures of Cinna and his beautiful outfits that I once wore. I'll tell her about Rue and why Willow has her blanket. We will explain our nightmares and the Games, which is the reason behind them. We will show Willow our past together, in a way that won't scare her, but will make her cherish what she has.

I look to my daughter, the little girl with thick brown hair and deep blue eyes. I know informing her of these things will be difficult for me. I already dread the day I have to explain how and why my sister is dead. I despise the thought of telling her about the Games, though I know she will learn about them at school. But when I look at Peeta again, I know we will manage.

***

Peeta and I are seperated almost instantly, and I am left with Willow. The two of us are escorted into a room with mirrors, dresses and shoes in different sizes and colors, and dozens of makeup kits with different assortments of tubes and powders.

Standing on the opposite side of the room stands a girl with dark ringlets that fall to her waist. She has dark skin and is dressed in a tight navy blue shirt and white pants. At first, I am taken aback. I can make out sparkling gold eyeliner smudged around her wide eyes; Cinna's trademark. Did the Capitol personally find a girl that somewhat resembled my dead stylist, Cinna? Hot anger courses through me until I notice the photos pinned to a board in the corner, that must be her workspace. I recognize several of the dresses I wore in the past, the ones made by Cinna. Beside them are photos of my mockingjay dress and my suit. These are not the photos I focus on, though. In the top right corner of the board there is a small collage of images. Cinna is in almost every one, a younger version of this girl smiling beside him. Rue's sister is not the only relative of a dead friend I have met today. "Hello, Katniss. I'm Angell, Cinna's daughter. I'm so glad to finally meet you."

Okay that was random and not really planned but. . . ¯\_()_/¯

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I know it was just kind of thrown together, but maybe you liked it? Ha. . .ha. . .ha. . .*more nervous laughing*

As always, be sure to vote and comment.

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH <3

-booklover2019