Chapter 88

Katniss

At first I see no sign that Gale has been here but in a way I can feel his presence. When I do look closer, I can see that his jacket is hanging over the side of a chair by the fireplace. His wooden chair at the kitchen table is pulled out slightly. The fire is going in the center of the living room. I remember that Hazel never liked lighting it, but Gale loves it. He says it reminds him of when his father was still alive somehow. In a way I know what he means. I have small things that remind me of my father and Prim. Even Peeta, who isn't gone. I hold onto these little things, terrified to let them go. "Please, sit," Hazel says, pulling out a chair. I do what she says and when I do I realize where I'm sitting; Gale's chair.

I can hear the baby's giggles clearly now but I pretend I don't because Hazel doesn't seem to notice anything. "Rory is off with Vick somewhere for the day. I've got Posy upstairs playing with. . ." I glance away, pretending like I don't care. Why should I? "Has Gale talked to you at all since he got back?" She sits down across from me and I shake my head, no.

"No, but I saw him. He has kids," I say and Hazel replies with a nod. "Yes. Two, a boy and a girl."

"What are their names?" I ask, the question slipping from my mouth even before I can think about it.

"The girl is Aster, after the flower. The boy is James, after my husband and Gale's father." I feel uncomfortable when a tear falls down Hazel's cheek. I don't know what to say, so I'm thankful when Posy walks down the stairs.

"Hello, Katniss," she says. She looks so much older than when I saw her last. Her dark hair is tied into a braided twist, similar to the one my mother did in my hair on Reaping day. Posy really is beautiful. All of the Hawthorne family have good looks. They all look fairly the same, especially Rory and Gale. Posy has the Seam look; gray eyes and dark hair. She's tall, almost taller than me. She and Prim weren't great friends because Posy was so young, but I know they would take a liking to each other now. In many ways their faces look alike. They could be fake cousins too, just like Gale and I. But by now everyone has forgotten about it.

"Darling, where is Aster?" Hazel asks, wiping away the tear on her cheek. Posy cleans up the counter as she talks. "She just feel asleep upstairs. Where's Gale and Camille?"

"They'll be back soon. They just went to the bakery to buy some bread." My breath gets caught in my throat at the thought of Gale in Peeta's bakery. Of course, Peeta isn't there, but it still feels strange to me. Posy clears her throat obviously wanting to get rid of the silence. "So, Katniss. I hear you're engaged."

"Yes. To Peeta," my voice gets quieter at the mention of Peeta's name. It doesn't feel right talking about him here, Gale's familiar and welcoming old house.

"Have you worked out any of the wedding details?" she asks. I shake my head. We haven't talked about it much. I guess it doesn't really matter. We already live in the same house. Nothing will change with a little party. Of course, the Capitol will make a huge deal out of it. They'll probably force us to dance in a party there, dressed up uncomfortably again. Although, I would give almost anything to see Cinna's Mockingjay dress again. But by now, I'm sure it's long gone.

Sure enough Gale and Camille, who I'm assuming is Gale's wife, walk through the door. Camille has brown hair, with tanned skin, dark eyes, and an upturned nose. I feel my breathing slow down right away. I suddenly regret even coming here. I should leave before Gale notices me sitting here but I don't know which way I would go. Camille and Gale are in front of the only doorway in the house. I try to sink into my chair but obviously fail. She notices me and I can't tell if she knows who I am or not. "Who's this?"

"Dear, this is Katniss Everdeen." I look at my hands, avoiding Camille's eyes which I know are on me. "Hello." I put on a fake smile instead of replying.

"Gale, sweetie, someone's here to see you." I wince at what Hazel said. I don't actually want to see him. I wish I was back in the Victor's Village with Peeta. I feel out of place here. Camille has wandered up the stairs when Gale walks in. My heart melts when I see him. I can't decide whether I'm happy or not about it.

"Hey Catnip," he says quietly. I mentally wince at the use of my nickname.

"Gale," I mumble, pulling at a string on my coat. "I should go." I stand and push Gale's chair towards the table. "Thank you, Hazel." I don't meet Gale's eyes while I nod goodbye to Posy, who's standing beside him.

"Katniss-" Gale starts to say him but I slip out the door before I hear it. I hold back tears and whatever else I feel. I continue walking to the woods, pretending like that didn't just happen. But it did. I saw Gale for the real first time in five years and I panicked.

I consider going back home but I resist. I want to go to the woods, which really is another home.