The Car Infront Of Me

I got into my truck quickly not caring about the blood on my hands. I threw my bow into the back and started up the truck. I followed the ambulance all the way. I kept thinking to myself that in front of me is my wife possibly dying because of an asshole not paying attention to what time of year or seeing the bright orange hat she had on. We wear the orange so that the other hunters would be able to see us. They would know that there was someone else. He also shot on a trail.
I had tears in my eyes watching the ambulance going through a red-light to where I couldn't. I banged on my dash and cried harder. I watched the taillights and flashing lights go further and further away. When the light went green I put the pedal to the metal. I was slowly catching up to the ambulance again. This felt like the longest drive. I got stuck at another light and kept yelling fuck over and over and over again. The person next to me looked over at me confused. I didn't care who saw me act a fool. The woman who I loved more than anything was in the ambulance way in front of me. I decided to grab my phone and dial Jason's number.

"You Luke. Ain't you supposed to be hunting?"
"Jason, call Blake. Tell him I'm heading to the hospital. Some fucking dipshited asshole shot Nikki." I said almost losing my composure but then light turned green and I sped off again.
"What? Okay I will. We'll all meet you there. Should I tell him to bring the kids?"
"Yes. Whatever he thinks he should do. I'm pulling in now. Bye." I said hanging up.

I threw my phone to the floor and parked quickly. I tried finding my phone and succeeded. I put it back into my pockets seeing that they already had her inside. I went to the front desk of the emergency room and tried talking to the lady. She kept telling me to calm down and clean myself up. I told her it was my wife's blood since she just got shot I needed to see her and she said it ain't going to help if you're dirty in a hospital. I gave up arguing with her and went to the bathroom. People were looking at me like I was a mad man and they were right. I was mad, upset, angry, and frustrated.
I went to the bathroom and washed my face off taking off my hat. I got all the blood off of my hands and noticed it was on my jacket. I took that off and just had my shirt and hunting pants left. I grabbed my stuff and threw it on a seat in the far corner. I was now washed up as best I could. Hopefully I could see my wife.

"Can I now see my wife?" I tried to not sound too much like an asshole.
"Wife's name sir?" She asked now nice.
"Nikki Lynn Bryan. She was just brought in. She was shot and is 5 months pregnant." I said gripping the side of the desk hard. She gave me a raised eye brow look and went back to the computer.
"They are bringing her into surgery. You can't go back. You're going to have to wait sir."
"Can't someone tell me anything else like if she is going to be okay, is she dying, how the baby?" I asked frantic.
"Sorry sir but no. I only can tell you where she is at and if you can go back." She gave me a sad face.
"Ughhh fuck." I said putting my head down.
"Just take a seat and we will let you know when she is out and how she is doing when it's all done. I can't tell you how long either." I looked up at her. She wasn't making me feel any better.

I stormed off to get my hat and jacket. I walked outside to my truck. I threw them in and slammed the door.  I went to the bed of my truck looking at my bow and arrows all of the bed. I put my arms crossed over each other and my head down onto the top of the tailgate. I tried to slow my breathing but I couldn't. I have no clue what is going on to my wife. What could possibly be happening to her in there? I slowly started to cry when I felt someone's hand on my back. I quickly shot up and looked at them and it was Jason and Jess standing there. Jason brought me in for a hug and I cried on his shoulder.
I explained to him seeing Nikki all bloody with wounds on her stomach. Jess started crying hearing what I was describing to them. Jason even had sorrow in his eyes but was pissed when I told him that it was by a man who knew it was not shot gun season but yet tried to shoot the buck any way. Jason was now holding onto Jess who was crying. I was going to have to explain this one more time to Blake and probably another to the cops. I was not looking forward to keep reliving seeing her in such a condition. I put my tailgate down and sat on it. I had my head in my hands. I blocked everything out even Jess's loud sobs. I heard wheels peeling and looked up to see someone parking next to me now and getting out it was Miranda.

"Luke!" She came up to me and hugged me. It was kind of weird hugging her like this because of I was sitting on the tailgate and she was in-between my legs. She let go of me and already had makeup running down her face. "Blake called me and I ran right out of my interview. Do you know anything?" She asked. I shook my head no.
"Some asshole shot her with a shot gun because he wanted to get a buck. She wore her gear and you know she make sure she has enough orange on. Bastard should have seen her. It was in the stomach Miranda." Jason said still holding onto Jess. Miranda looked back at me. She had tears forming.
"Oh my god no."  She looked back over to them and Jason was just comforting Jess. Then she looked back at me. "Blake is gonna be here with the boys. If you want I can keep them occupied with him so you can calm yourself." Miranda offered.
"I wanna see my boys. I need them right now." I admitted. She nodded and sat next to me. We all sat there in silence.

I really did want my boys. They could be the only thing left I have in this world. About 4 months ago I got my baby back in my life. I may have messed up but she forgave me because she loved me. Then she tells me she was pregnant. Then today we found out she was pregnant with a girl. I was going to finally have my girl. Now I might not have a wife and a daughter just because of some hunting accident. It was about 7 at night now and about an hour and a half after she got shot. I've only been here for 30 minutes but it felt like ages. Nothing but bad thoughts went through my mind.
I kept looking down at my hands feeling her hands in mine. I still imagine the blood on them. Her blood. I shake my head out of that thought. I need to think brighter. She would want me to. She would not want me to be a mess especially not for the boys.
Blake pulled up with the boys a few parking spots down. He had Tate sleeping in his arms and Bo was running over to me. I picked him up and hugged him tight. He hugged me back and I looked over to Blake who came over to kiss Miranda and then came up to me. He gave me a half smile and a small hug not to wake Tate. He was probably taking his since he probably didn't all day. I let Bo down onto the tailgate and grabbed Tate from Blake. He snuggled in close to me making me smile. I loved my boys with all my heart and Bo almost being 5 and about to start up with his home schooling if he even can now. Shit I got to stop thinking like that.
I just hope the boys will understand that mama is hurt. I just can't tell them I don't know if she is going to make it or not. We all decided to into the waiting room. I walked past the lady with Bo holding onto my left hand and Tate holding onto my neck and me holding him to me with my right. Everyone else followed me and sat all around in the corner my jacket and hat were once left. Tate woke up looking around and was sitting on my lap.

"Pa, were mama?" He said whipping his eyes.
"Mama is in surgery. She got hurt." I said knowing he wouldn't understand no should he be told just yet if anything. He mother could live through this.
"Is she gonna be ok Pa?" Bo asked. He was sitting next to me. I looked over to Miranda and Blake. I really had no answer for that. I looked back at Bo.
"I don't know Bo. Mama is a strong woman. She should be." I think that is the best answer I could give those two. He just looked at me and nodded.

We kept sitting in silence. I was going to let Tate play with my phone but it had dried blood on it. I put it back in my pocket before he could see and got up with him in my arm. I asked if the boys needed to potty and Bo did. I let Jason hold Tate and I took Bo to the bathroom. I washed my phone with a tamp paper towel. We went back into the waiting room and just sat.
It was after midnight. Bo was sleeping in the chair next to me. Jess was leaning on Jason who had Tate asleep in his arms. He had his head back and was asleep. Miranda and Blake were still awake talking to each other. I put my head in my hands and slowly drifted off.