Chapter 55 - Sparklers, S'mores, and Bonfires; Promotion Exams, Start!

(Name)'s POV

The day before exams arrived. I was preparing for bed after another evening of lessons, which finished early to ensure us plenty of rest, when a knock tapped on my door. Another visitor this late?

"(Name)-chan!" I flew towards the door at the sound of Megumi's voice and swung it open. It was indeed Megumi, but instead of wearing her nightgown as I hoped—I mean, expected, she was bundled up in a coat and scarf. "Come on, everyone's waiting outside!"

"Huh? What's happening?" I blinked, allowing her to help me into my own jacket. I worried Erina had called another last-minute meeting in the freezing cold, but that wouldn't explain why Megumi was so excited.

I was distracted from any further questions because Megumi took my hand in hers and hurried down the halls. She was adorable when she was excited, but I was too focused on the warmth of her small hand and how it fit in mine.

We entered the backyard to be greeted by the smell of grilled meat and... Shoji throwing fire. He's a firebender.

"Don't throw the sparklers!" Fumio barked from her chair beside the door. "Are you trying to start a forest fire?!"

"Sorry, Fumio-san!" Shoji and Daigo apologized before resorting to good ol' rough-housing in place of firework-duels.

Megumi took the liberty of explaining. "We're throwing a small celebration before we leave tomorrow!"

Ryoko appeared and handed me a drink. "We're going to be up to our ears in exams, so we ought to ourselves while we can."

I accepted the drink, which was just soda, surprisingly. "Nice! Though I'm surprised Erina-chan's okay with this."

Erina, who stood to the side awkwardly, cleared her throat and blushed. "I-I'll allow it. There's no harm in, ah, 'having fun' every once in a while."

"Besides," Hisako glanced at Yuki and the boys, "it'll boost morale, which some of the others have been lacking."

Yuki appeared as if summoned by her comments. "Erina-chiiiiii~! Come set off sparklers with me!" She tugged the blonde away, ignoring an irate Hisako.

"S-sparklers?!" The rest of the girls flocked around the Tenth Seat to teach her.

I was about to follow when Isshiki popped out of nowhere, spooking me. "Senpai..! Don't do that."

He laughed, reflexes quick enough to avoid the fist I'd thrown up. "Apologies, (Name)-chan~ Here, have a sparkler!" I accepted the sparkler, then shot a furtive look towards the farm.

Weren't we too close to be playing with fire? I didn't want to set another farm ablaze with a stray firework, not again.

"Don't worry. That's why I'm here." Isshiki recognized my unease, lifting a garden hose. "I'm on fire-watch duty, should anyone get past my barricade. It's the only way we got Fumio-san to agree."

I eyed the small line of neon flags in the ground. "Barricade?" But before I could judge, Shoji stepped over the line and was met with a jet-stream of water, which narrowly missed his face, scaring him away. "Oh."

The smell of cooking grew stronger, so I made my way over to where Soma and Shun prepped the food. Soma squatted next to his charcoal grill, fanning the flames as he grilled some skewered fish for everyone, whereas Shun roasted some potatoes over the campfire—all while advising Soma how to best utilize the smoke.

"(Name)-chan, you're here!" Soma waved the fan in greeting. Nearby, Shun rotated the speared-potatoes and raised it my way. "The food'll be done shortly so I'll call ya' then."