Chapter 5- How Does One Obtain Such Power?

(Name)'s POV

I yawned as my eyes slowly fluttered open, only to squint back closed at the sun's brightness. I drowsily turned over in my bed only to roll off the edge and onto the floor.

"Ugh." I lay there for a moment, unwilling to move. I may have dozed off for a minute, but eventually I pulled myself up and prepared for the day ahead.

Everyone was already gathered out in the hallway, and I gave them my greetings.

"Hey."

"Mornin'."

Everyone's morning drowsiness was still very apparent as they yawned and began to make their way to the dining hall. Megumi giggled a bit when she saw me and I gave her a questioning look. "Seems like you have a bit of bedhead, (Name)-chan."

I reached up to touch my (h/c) hair only to realize she was right. I shook my head, hoping to somehow fix the bird nest on my head. I probably just made it worse.

Ah, oh well.

When we finally arrived at our destination, everyone stopped and clustered together at the entrance. Due to my position in the crowd (or Isshiki just being taller than me), I struggled to see what all the fuss was about.

Yuki yawned. "What? What's wrong?"

I squished past her and stood beside Megumi. Now able to see clearly, I blinked when I saw Soma sitting criss cross applesauce in a chair with his arms crossed. He had his knife briefcase beside him as a sudden breeze blew his head bandage thing to the side. I still don't know how everyone is able to summon up these dramatic breezes, even when we're inside.

How does one obtain such power?

We all stared blankly as we waited for him to speak. "Yesterday, I had to table this, but let's put the Elite Ten's seventh seat on the line!" He unfolded his arms and pat his lap.

Man, he's much more driven than I am to become number one. I realized silently.

My claims during my entrance speech were subtle, passive even. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, but I had no idea just how serious of a claim it was then.

Well, I guess I'll at least try to rise in the ranks. I shrugged. But the only thing I cared about was beating the Whitewater village.

"It's time for a cook-off, Isshiki-senpai!"

We all stared blankly at him for a few seconds, until I sneezed. I rubbed my nose as Megumi muttered a small 'bless you'. Completely ignoring Soma's big challenge, everyone but Megumi, Isshiki, and I left to the table.

Isshiki slowly tilted his head and stared at Soma, the latter copying the former's actions. I swear I could hear a clock ticking somewhere until Soma let out a, "Huh?"

After realizing nothing else was going to happen, I joined everyone else at the table. "It's too early for all this anyway." I commented as my stomach growled.

"Food! Food!"

"I'm starving."

"When's breakfast, Fumio-san?"

We all let out our own complaints as we seated ourselves.

Fumio stuck her head into the room and began yelling at us. "Shut your traps! Sit and wait!" I chuckled lightly in response.

"Sorry, Soma-kun." Isshiki said, stealing Soma's attention away from Fumio. "I should've explained better."

Soma's eyes widened and he let out another, "Huh?"