Chapter 36 - Don't Eat the Potato Salad

(Name)'s POV

"Toilet!"

I hurtled past Yuki and Shoji in my haste, eliciting cries of confusion from the pair. They hollered after me, asking what was the rush, but I was unable to respond.

Once I reached the confines of the bathroom, I slammed open the lid of the toilet and leaned over it, clutching my stomach in pain. Nothing came.

"(Name)-chan, what's the big idea?" Yuki called as she entered the bathroom. "Why is the door op--OI!!"

I vomited.

As Yuki shouted in the entrance, I got out as much as I could before wiping my mouth. Thank goodness I tied my hair back last night. The well-meaning girl hovered around me in concern, firing question after question, but the pounding of my head wished for her to shut up.

Wow. I was kind of mean when sick.

"Yuki... please..." I turned to face her but stopped as that familiar feeling returned in my gut.

"Huh? Huh!" Yuki exclaimed as I whipped around to throw up once more.

...I guess that potato salad was bad.

*~*~*~*

"I'd say you deserve this for throwing that cicada at me," Ryou commented seeing how I leaned against the wall, only semi-conscious, "but this is just sad."

My sickness caused quite a hiccup early that morning as Polar Star prepared to leave for the next round of the Elections. Kiyoko and Megumi were insistent that I stayed at the dorm to rest, but I was adamant to go. Or at least try to.

"Give it up already. There's no stopping her once she's put her mind to something." Ryou said to an annoyed Yuki, causing her to place both hands on her hips and gripe at him.

I watched in silent amusement; those two were always butting heads from day one. I didn't know if Yuki was aware of Ryou's crush on Megumi, but if she did find out, it would mean bad news for the boy.

"How about you lay down for another fifteen minutes before we leave? If you're still feeling up to it then, you can go." Kiyoko reasoned. I nodded and trudged back to my room.

I really wanted to go today. I'd learned so much from watching the past matches, and I couldn't afford to miss the rest. I was finally starting to realize where I stood amongst the first years of Tōtsuki and just how much work I needed to put in if I ever planned on catching up, much less surpassing them.

Even more... I thought as I unlocked my phone, there are people I've gotta support.

8:01
Best of luck on your match today, Takumi-kun! I'm sure you'll do great. o(≧▽≦)o

I shut off the phone and placed it down, only for it to light up as a response came not a minute later.

8:01
Thank you, (Name)-chan. I've prepared a lot for todau.

I mean today.

I giggled at his small typo and then his correction of it. I understood him the first time.

8:02
I'm excited to see you cook. I'll be up in the stands cheering you on! (* ̄▽ ̄)b

That was it. I was going today.

I grabbed a small bag from under my bed and began to pack it: towels, spare clothes, water bottles, barf bags, and anything else I might need. Once I was finished, I headed to the entrance hall where everyone gathered.