Chapter 39 - Shiomi Seminar, and the Stegosaurus?

(Name)'s POV

"Where are you headed so early in the morning?"

I paused, half-way out the door, and looked up to where Isshiki stood at the top of the stairs.

"Figures you'd be awake already, Isshiki-senpai." The upperclassman chuckled at my observation, descending the steps so he was standing before me. He'd changed from his farming fundoshi into his standard apron, which was a little better nudity-wise, and I squinted at his toned arms in annoyance.

Yeah, I'll never get used to this.

He noticed my staring and grinned, obviously happy I was sticking to my promise of... looking at him. Weirdo.

"Did you nude—need something?" I bit my tongue as I felt myself die a little inside.

"Not in particular, no. Just seeing you off is all." He reached around me to hold open the door.

"...Huh. Thanks, Isshiki-senpai." It was nice of him to do so, but I could tell he still wanted something from the gleam in his eye. "I'll see you later then?"

He nodded and waved, standing at the door as I walked off. I still found it odd that he was doing this, but I supposed it was nice having someone to send me off.

"Good luck, (Name)-chan! I trust you'll do well in the next stage of your first year!"

"Thanks, Isshiki-senpai!" I called back to him. Wait, next stage? I stopped and turned back around. "What do you mean next stage?"

But he was already gone, leaving me to shout at the dorm's exterior in the dark.

Great, there's probably another test or camp from hell again... I slumped my shoulders and resumed my journey. As if everyday classes aren't enough. I can never catch a break at this school.

*~*~*~*

I arrived at the Shiomi Research Society at seven sharp, right on time. The sun was barely peeking over the horizon at this point, leaving me to wonder if it was normal for the woman to wake so early each day.

It was near impossible to get out of bed this morning... I even retired from the party early so I could sleep.

Then again, it started late to begin with. I rubbed my temple, a bit fatigued as I recalled the obligatory celebration for Soma's performance in the Elections. Last night's a blur of rice juice, confetti, and... onion rings?

The seminar's shabby exterior did little to deter me as this was now my second time visiting the building. I rang the bell and waited, but when no response came, I checked my watch. She did say seven, right? I rang again.

Please tell me I didn't walk all the way out here for nothing. My feet ached at the thought of making the long trek back when the door creaked open.

"Who is it?" I looked up to be greeted by a pair of striking green eyes. And the rest of Hayama, too. "Homura?"

He opened the door to show his full self but not enough to invite me inside. "Why are you here?"

I sweated at the less-than-friendly greeting, plus the fact that this was the same dude that won the Autumn Election literally less than 24 hours ago. Could you blame me for being a little bit intimidated?

"Uhhhhhhh, Shiomi-senpai—"

As if summoned by her name, the woman slipped under Hayama's arm to stand in front of him, bouncing in place. "(Surname)-chan! Welcome, welcome!" She grabbed my wrist and all but dragged me inside, Hayama shoved aside in her haste.