Chapter 23- Stolen Possession

(Name)'s POV

Wow, Soma was right! The sauce really does make it better.

"Still working on your dish?" I looked up to my mother's smiling face as she entered the kitchen and nodded in confirmation.

"You're quite diligent. I'm assuming you've already packed your bags?"

"...?" I stared blankly at the woman.

A deadpan expression crossed my mother's usually lively face as she took in my lost expression.

"(Name)."

"My bags..?"

"(Name)..!"

She repeated firmly this time, and I tilted my head, still confused as to what she was saying.

Bags? But where would I be going?

"Your student holiday ends tomorrow."

......

"Ah, shrimp!"

I rushed out of the kitchen past my mother and into my room to pack, hearing my mother sigh as she sweatdropped and shook her head at my forgetfulness.

Rushing around my room frantically, I messily began to throw my clothes and other items into the suitcase on my bed. I had been so preoccupied with preparing for the festival that I had completely forgotten that the end of the student holiday was near.

Even though we'd only be returning to school for a little while before summer break, I panicked as I realized that there was no way I was going to make it back in time for the festival. Perhaps Ryou and I could postpone it for a few weeks since we wouldn't be returning until August.

"Hey, Mom!" I called out, hoping she'd be able to ask Ina if we could push the special terms for the festival back some.

"Worried you won't make it back in time for the festival?" the brunette woman questioned as if reading my mind. "Don't worry, I already talked to Ina-san about it. She said it's no problem and that Whitewater has already agreed as well."

"Thank you so much, Mom." I paused my packing and sighed in relief, my shoulders slumping slightly showing how tired I was.

"Anytime--I'm just surprised that neither you nor this boy you mentioned realized that your student holiday would end before the next festival." She giggled amusedly, much to my chagrin, and I tossed a shirt at her in annoyance. She caught it in one hand with ease.

"Well, in my defense..." I started, unable to come up with a reason other than my lack of responsibility. "Er... yeah, I just wasn't thinking."

Shaking her head at my poor planning, she folded the shirt I had thrown at her and placed it in my bag before quickly and skillfully using her Mom powers to organize my things better.

"Geez, (Name), you gotta start paying more attention! Lucky for you, I checked your school calendar and made sure the next festival was scheduled a week after your return."

A wave of relief washed over me at this news. Not only did this mean I'd finally get the chance to beat Ryou, but it also meant I had more time to prepare my dish before the festival. Boy was I lucky to have my mom.

"Anywaaaay," she practically sung, arousing suspicion in me, "I heard you on the phone the other night, (Name)~ You seemed quite happy to talk to whoever it was, giggling like a schoolgirl and whatnot." She smiled suggestively and leaned towards me. Her eyebrows waggled like the very hungry caterpillar.

I blinked at this suggestion as I recalled what she was talking about, only to blush lightly as I remembered the hour I spent cackling over the phone with Soma.