Chapter 42 - New Recruit

(Name)'s POV

"So which is it?" Ryou and I leaned forward while Fumio compared our dishes.

We'd settled on dairy as a theme, a broad topic which fell under Ryou's area of expertise, but I was confident in my creation this time. The fact that Fumio hadn't declared him the winner immediately was a good sign.

Isshiki, our sole other judge as everyone else had yet to return from their Stagiaires, placed down his utensil and exchanged words with Fumio. His usual cheery demeanor was replaced with his more serious side, something I witnessed only on rare occasions.

"Don't be too bitter when you lose, Homura." Ryou whispered as we waited side by side.

"You're lucky you're on cleaning duty today, Yanagawa." I smiled sarcastically. "Because you won't need to clean after I wipe with floor with you—"

"We've made our decision." Fumio announced, putting an end to our trash talk. We shut our mouths and stood at attention. "The winner of this Shokugeki is..."

Fumio and Isshiki both raised their arms to point at the victor.

...What?

Ryou and I sweatdropped as one judge pointed at each of us, their votes different. They pivoted to glare at each other.

"Yanagawa's dish was much more refined in its handling." Fumio claimed.

Isshiki agreed before countering with his own argument. "True, but (Name)-chan's dish was much more creative, don't you agree? And her execution sufficed enough to close the gap in skill."

They went back and forth for a bit, leaving the two of us to exchange weary glances. Isshiki and the dorm caretaker got along most of the time, but there were still occasions in which they clashed like this. But did it have to be when they judged our cooking?

"I thought you two came to an agreement." Ryou crossed his arms and huffed. He sweatdropped when Fumio shot him a glare.

"Watch your tongue, boy! Had manners be a part of this evaluation, you would've lost miserably!" I bit my tongue to refrain from laughing at his expense.

Isshiki tried to calm Fumio down. "He's right though. We were supposed to agree on the outcome."

"So who is it then?" I asked one more time. "Whose do you think is better?"

Isshiki and Fumio exchanged another look. They'd reached a consensus.

"The victor is..."

Finally, the moment of truth. I held my breath.

"Yanagawa-kun."

"(Name)-chan."

We both fell over at the split votes. Again?!

"Then I guess this match is a draw." Ryou sighed, his brows drawn together in reluctant acceptance.

I threw my hands up in frustration. For the first time in my life, I didn't lose to him. I should be happy, right? Yet I'm still as upset as if I lost!

This won't do at all. I puffed my cheeks and pointed at him. "Then I'll have to get better!"

"Huh?" He quirked his brow.

I placed my hands on my hips and grinned. "I'll just have to get better than you so that next time, there'll be no arguments on who's the winner!"

Ryou blinked at my declaration before mirroring my confidence. "Is that a promise, Homura?"

"Yup." I held out my pinky. "Pinky promise!"

"What? Why would I pinky swear to that?" Ryou backed away as I approached, pinky raised threateningly. Fumio and Isshiki laughed at the display.