Part 9

I couldn't sleep the whole night. Closing my eyes and staying in a fetal position under the covers didn't stop my mind from thinking the worst. I'm used to seeing ghosts and avoiding them but this is the first time one of them has followed me this far. And not just any ghost... it's Tessa.

On my way to school, I look at myself in my pocket mirror. Yup. I look tired. Suddenly an arm wraps around my shoulder causing me to flinch.

"Sup, Lisa. You look terrible today " says the girl. It's one of our friends, Beatrix. More specifically one of Irma's friends.

"Yeah, been up all night watching horror movies " I lie. I've started lying a lot lately.

"Ooooh. Cool. Hey so mind if I ask you something ? " she says removing her arm from my shoulder

"Go ahead," I say

"Did..you and Irma get into a fight? "

I raise an eyebrow "No? Why? "

"Well, I just feel like there's this tension between you two. You guys seemed kinda distant yesterday. "

True. She avoided me as much as I did. It's beginning to look suspicious.

"Well, actually- "I begin when all of a sudden I feel a slight push from behind causing me to trip a little

"Hey, Lisa. How are you today ? " says Irma

I look back at her. The event starts playing before my eyes and once again I feel like someone choking me. Afraid I might spill the beans.

"U-umm, good, " I say. My voice sounds dry.

"Morning Irma, hey so I wanna know. Did you two get into a fight ? " asks Beatrix.

"Fight? Nah, it was just a little disagreement over something. We're over it now anyways " she laughs.

"Oh. Ok then. Because I was planning on inviting you guys for karaoke on Tuesday and I was worried you two weren't seeing eye to eye." she exclaims and checks her watch

"Class is about to start. Let's go " and she runs ahead joining up the rest of our friends.

It's just me and Irma now. I glance over at her as we walk.

"Irma..." I began to say

She looks over at me with an expressionless face "Is it that hard for you to act natural ? " she says

I look away from her.

"You choose this path yourself. Deal with it " she says and walks ahead

I watch her run towards the school gates and out of sight. I feel the warmth on my face and the rage building up inside me. Because I know what she said was the truth...but not all of it. It's not easy to act natural when you've just witnessed a murder and are concealing it. And I'm in this mess all because of her. I was just a bystander until she made me lie to the police.

I look towards the gates and Tessa stands there. Staring at me again. Why!? Why me!? It was between you and Irma so why am I being dragged into this!?

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!! " I yell with my hands on my head gripping hair.

"Umm, you ok? " I hear a boy's voice and I open my eyes. It was then that I noticed that everyone had been staring at me. I look towards the gate and Tessa is no longer there

Ignoring him and everyone else I run to the gate and inside the school.

In class, as I note down what's being written on the board by the teacher, my eyes drift towards the classroom door. Tessa has been staring at me this whole time. My hands are shaking and I can't write properly.