part 26

Then

The next day I wait at the bus stop near the school gates, card clutched tightly in my hands. What's wrong with me? Why am I so worked up about this? I didn't have a problem talking to her at first.

I see her approaching and step forward towards her...only to suddenly freeze.

She'll ask me how I knew it was hers. She'll think I'm a stalker. No, I can't do this.

I watch disappointingly as she enters the school gates. Ash blonde hair fluttered at every step. I then look back at the card in my hand.

I just...wanna talk to her. Maybe I could be her friend if she doesn't have any. That'd be nice.

And so, three days go by with me trying to convince myself to talk to her only for my brain to tell me that it's not what I should be focusing on right now.

I did pick on some of her weird habits. Sometimes she'd freeze up or make a facial expression that looks like she was scared suddenly or Sometimes she'd wear her white headphones just to avoid being greeted by teachers or fellow students.

Today, however, it's raining. I got a call from my co-worker to come in the afternoon when the rain is predicted to have stopped. I'll have A LOT to do today, I can tell.

But thanks to the rain, the hot atmosphere is replaced by a cool breeze. Taking my umbrella, I go out for a walk. It's 10:30 am right now and the weather is beautiful. It's the weekend so the school will probably be closed.

I find myself walking towards that park a few blocks away. It's my favorite place for relaxation.

But lo and behold, who do I find in a yellow raincoat with that same camera on a tripod? That girl...

Why isn't she home? Isn't the weekend the time you get to oversleep? Does she enjoy photography that much? I personally don't see the appeal.

She looks happy as she snaps a photo of the trees. This is contagious as I smile too. It's great to see people enjoy things they're passionate about.

I dig out my wallet from my clothes and stare at the crumbled card stuffed among the cash.

This is ridiculous...

I sigh and take out the pen from my shirt pocket. Good thing I didn't take it out. After scribbling something at the back of it, I hide and slowly make my way towards her, using the trees and bushes as cover. While she's busy with the camera, I stuff the card inside her bag and then make my way out of there.

I'm putting a stop to this. This is wrong. I'm starting to feel like a creep. I'll go through a different route now, even if it's long. Whoever that girl is, let her live her life and I'll live mine.

That's right weird feelings. Go away.

Gotta get prepared for work now. Miss Helen likes punctuality.

_________________________________________

My heart pounds as I walk.

No way...this can't be true.

I...I gotta inform the police. I didn't know I was working in the house of a human trafficker!

I have to do something about this. I can't sleep tonight knowing that innocent kids are being treated like objects. Who else knows about this? Does Rebecka know? The other maids? The guards? They must. If this has been going on for a while, then It's impossible that everyone was oblivious to it.

Or maybe...they do but won't snitch since she's a famous person.

My blood boils as I continue walking down the dark street.

Is that money really worth more than innocent lives? How can they live with themselves like this!? I'm going to put a stop to this. I'll go to the police right now and-

My train of thought is interrupted as a heavy object is struck to my head. I turn around just before everything goes black to see two familiar faces.

I see. So I was found out...

_________________________________________

I remember seeing myself as a child. Playing with my parents and big sister.

I remember the fire that took their lives and me being sent to an orphanage.

I remember how I had to be independent after 18 and search for an affordable apartment and job.

I remember the mysterious girl who I wanted to be close with.

"Hello?"

My eyes open. All I can see is darkness. My Head still throbbing from the injury. I try to move my hands but realize they're tied along with my legs. It takes me a minute to understand that I'm tied to a chair, gagged, have a sack on my head, and am surrounded by, what I think is gasoline.

I suddenly sense someone moving close to me. I jerk my head towards the person and moan something.

The person, surprised, lets out a scream and stumbles upon something. To my utter dismay, I start to feel the intense heat of the fire.

The next few minutes, were excruciatingly painful as I felt my skin and flesh burn. I forcefully opened my mouth to scream through the tape which ripped the skin off of my lips. The fire had burned the ropes and with immense pain, I moved my hands to take the burning sack off my head. As soon as I get up, I can feel myself lose consciousness.

I'm going to die...

I fall on the floor in a haze of fire and take my last breaths.

Mom...dad...Leona...I understand how much you suffered now. It hurts so much. I can't take it anymore. I want to see you guys again.

I want us to be together again.

But...I don't want to leave things unfinished.

I want to stop the child trafficking. Those innocent kids.

I can't pass on right now.

I recognized that voice from earlier. It was her. What on earth was she doing here? How does she fit into all of this? Does she really have to be there wherever I go? the sound of her screaming and accidentally starting the fire, I'd say she wasn't supposed to be here. It was an accident. Where were those guards?

I frankly remember them rushing towards me with a fire extinguisher. Funny. Weren't they gonna kill me too?

Whatever your name is and whoever you are, you are responsible for my death. I could waste my time haunting you OR I could find a way to save lives as a ghost. Maybe I could possess you? That'd be perfect. I could have a body and you'll be forced to pay for what you did.

What time is it by the way? Where am I? I don't feel any pain any more thank goodness. But I can't feel any part of my body. Or see anything for that matter. It's like I'm floating in darkness.

I want to wake up.

As I slowly try to open my eyes, I find myself above a lake, looking up at the clear blue sky.