Chapter 40: The Gift (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

I feel my body tense and curl up into a ball as tears begin to prick my eyes. All chances of a peaceful pathway into sleep is gone. I can't sink my teeth into my lip or cheek, and I can't dig my nails into my palms because it makes Levi upset. I don't know what to do. I want to do something, but everything is locking up. I can't breathe. I can't fluffing breathe. The air isn't coming- I'm gonna die! What's going on?! Why won't everything stop?! Why can't I breathe?!

My brain doesn't process as I'm lifted up into a sitting position. My mind is still fuzzy when my ear is gently pressed up against something, and I can feel my heart thumping and my hyperventilation increasing to what would be extreme if I could breathe. I feel a hand on my waist and I start freaking out. Who are they?! Why are they touching me?! What's going on?!

"Eren, try to focus on my breathing."

I try to shake my head no, but it's held in place by something. I'm sure the tears are rolling down my cheeks at this point. The hand on my waist moves to rub circles on my back, and the thing holding my head in place also happens to be a hand, the thumb rubbing circles in my hair, right above my ear.

"Sssh, it's just me, Levi, try for me, ok?"

I concede, slightly sucking on my lower lip. I can feel his chest push out and contract at a steady pace. His breaths are going in for two beats and going out for two beats. His heartbeat is nice and steady, and I could lightly nod my head to the beats.

I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the line my breathing stabilized. I open my eyes, which are now probably puffy and red, and quickly squeeze them shut once more as I throw my arms around Levi. I feel like such a kid right now, but what if I let go and he realizes that? I shove my face into his shoulder. I mentally sigh, realizing as he wraps his own arms around me, that I have to stop this. We need to talk. I squeeze him tighter. But maybe in the morning.

I mumble into his shoulder, "It's too late for this."

He laughs, "I told you."

"Mm, yeah, yeah, laugh it off."

He starts to stand up, and I wrap my legs around his waist to I don't fall, "H-hey! I was comfy!"

"Your face is sticky, I was going to get a wash cloth."

"But the bathroom is so far awaaaayyy, and wash cloths huuuuurt."

"How old are you again? And look alive, Bright Eyes, the bathroom is right across the hall."

"Hmpf, fine. But you have to carry me, slave."

My face is the definition of the color red. The color red is calling for its color back kinda red. So red that I'm the crayon in the box. I've got red to spare- red for days- red for y e a r s. Levi, however, complies and I am elegantly carried to the bathroom. He puts the seat down on the toilet and sets me down. He then takes the evil washcloth and peppers it with soap and water.

"Wait you're not putting that near my eyes right? I swear to all things holy if you put that anywhere near my eyes I will skin you ali-"

"I won't get it in your eyes."

"Just being careful isn't enough, Levi, do you want me to go blind or something? Actually don't answer that, I don't think I want to know, but if it gets into my eyes it'll hurt even mor-"

"I didn't say I was being careful, I said I wouldn't get it in your eyes, and I don't make a habit of lying."

I shut up after that. I want to be angry, but I have physically no energy left to be that way. Instead, I pettily puff my cheeks before stuffing my face inside my shirt. I can almost feel Levi's eye roll before I start freezing.