Chapter 6: Last Days of Summer

Start from the beginning

"In the end, your guess is as good as mine. At least I don't have to deal with another move in schools. The switch from Illvermorny to Hogwarts was rough because of the friends I left behind. And that's even with knowing that I would see them all again every summer in Newport. What's the likely hood you'll see all those French girls again?"

"Shut up," I snapped, dropping my hands in my lap. I felt crappy enough as it was, I didn't need to hear my brother voice my fears out in the open like this. Not on a day like today.

My brother snorted and strolled to my door.

"Fine. Just trying to help. I know how cruddy you are with your letter writing to friends. Just thought I'd help you in that direction."

My brother shut the door without another word, leaving me to stare at my reflection and then to the silver ring sitting next to me.

There was a rumor that Beauxbatons rings only fit the girl if she were a student at the school. But I had worn this ring for over a year now. Two in fact.

I reached for it and held it up in the light with my palm. The school crest gleamed up at me with my mother's graduation year and her initials in the back.

It didn't look any smaller from before.

As if contemplating a difficult task, I held my breath and tried it on my ring finger. It stopped just above the joint, as if the ring had shrunk two sizes. My heart rate raising, I tried it again on every other finger, just in case I had mistaken which finger I had worn the ring on. But after ten fingers were checked, I released my breath and starred at the ring one final time.

Then I chucked it across the room. Not even looking to see where it landed.

The rest of August went by with increasing speed but with little joy that my summers usually carried. I had resigned myself to what was going to happen and I knew there was nothing to do about it. I had to do as much damage control as I could and hope that my friends from Beauxbatons would understand.

Marie wasn't a problem. In fact, she wrote back within the day with the most comforting letter on the topic.

"I know you must be devastated about this. I'm so sorry Ava. But you'll always have me as a friend, who will be there to listen to what news you write me whenever you can write. Never feel guilty about forgetting to write for I will be there. Always."

Gisele wrote a similar letter, though her worry was more so about what happened to cause such a transition. Jacqueline, who wasn't much of a letter writer, took a little longer to respond. But at least she did respond.

I didn't hear anything from Mila.

Rosalie wrote an appropriate letter but we both knew we would see each other again, at least in Newport.

Ana wrote back two days before I was to board the Hogwarts Express. And while she wrote similar things to Gisele and Jacqueline, it didn't feel the same.

Was this what letting go of friendships felt like as you got older? Dull and aching?

I meant to write Sam a letter on what had happened with Tati's signed magazine that I had promised her, but I knew that if I were to write her now, it would be depressing rather than joyful which I am sure is how she would look upon the news.

And she had reason to react this way. In fact, on the nights I sat up, unable to sleep, I calmed myself remembering that at least I had Sam, who would make my transition back to Slytherin house bearable, if not great.

What really worried me was Malfoy and his silver gang that awaited in the wings. At least when I visited Hogwarts as a Beauxbatons student, I had many ways to hide and avoid them. But now, I had to share a common room with them, and Pansy would sleep only a door down from me.