Chapter 30: The Christmas Season

Our last meeting of the D.A. before the Christmas season occurred a week before we were to be shipped home. It was also during our most stressful week of coursework. And yet somehow, we managed.

Sam and I had just escaped the dinner hall from Draco (who was still peeved I wouldn't always sit with him at meals) when Ginny bombarded us with Ella on her heels.

"I got it. I got the position on the Quidditch team."

"You're barking," Sam gasped, while I jumped up in excitement and bear hugged Ginny with glee.

"You did it!"

"But does Harry know yet?" Sam asked, after I let go. Ginny, who was flustered following my hug, managed a shrug in response.

"Well- I uh- haven't said anything. I don't want to see his face when he hears about it. I already got a bad reaction from Michael -"

"Drop him," Ella said in a tone as serious as her expression. "He's only going to get worse when you start beating his ass."

"Easy there, Ella," Sam said with a growing smile. "Let's not judge."

"It's alright," Ginny said with a dry chuckle, turning to the rest of us. "I sort of already did. Two hours ago, actually." Her face was as red as her hair as Ella squealed loud enough for those walking out from dinner to stop and stare.

When we arrived at the Room of Requirement a little after nine, we were welcomed in by the usual crowd of D.A. members surrounded by holly and mistletoe of all things.

"Do they expect us to have a lesson in snogging or something?" Sam asked, eyeing the large numbers of mistletoe with distrust.

"All you have to do is say the word, Spencer and I'm there," Theo joked as he walked by, narrowly missing Sam's fist as she went to peg him in the stomach.

Gross

Everyone's banter around the room was infectious leaving our lesson for the night to be one of the best to date.

"We'll do a bit of a finals of sorts," Harry said at the beginning. "See how well you remember what we've learned in the term. Thought it wouldn't be right to start on something new before a three-week break."

"If I'd known that, I wouldn't have come..." Zacharias Smith said in a disgruntled whisper near the front.

"We're all really sorry Harry didn't tell you then," Fred said from in front of me, sending the room into a wave of laughter, ending Smith's grumbling short.

After a session of Impediment Jinxes, Stunning spells and Jelly Leg shots, Sam, Theo and I left in higher spirits and with a few more bruises to boot.

It wasn't until the following day when my high spirit shot down briefly when Hermione stopped me outside Potions. Harry and Ron were both not with her.

"What's going on?" I asked, after shooing Draco away. He gave a suspicious glance toward Hermione but did as I asked and joined his friends at the table.

"They're gone. Ron's father was attacked and well... it's a bit hard to explain really," Hermione started but then stopped, as a she grappled with what to say in such a short amount of time.

"Can you do me a favor, Ava? I need you to keep Draco away from any nosy questions about the Weasley's and Harry leaving early. Can you do that?" I nodded automatically; ready to help.

"Do you want me to sit with you for the class? I'd hate for you to be alone."

"No, no. Thanks though, really. But I'll sit with Neville. You need to sit with Draco or else he'll get suspicious."