eight; holograms?

eight; holograms?

THE GYM
NOW

JULIE STARES DOWN at the audience of students, Principal Lessa and Mrs Harrison, her hands folded over her microphone as she smiles through the endless questions that are muttered across the hall.

Saf stares at her sister, her foot tapping at the floor, her nails in between her teeth and her eyes focusing and un-focusing on everything around her.

The thrill and excitement from just moments ago had faded, replaced with fear and dread of what she has just done.

Did she regret it? She wasn't sure. Would she do it again? She wasn't sure. Was she scared that her face would be recognised by the students in the hall and that Julie wouldn't be able to come up with a valid excuse? Heck yeah!

As for the boys, they were grinning ear to ear at the fact that when they played with Julie, every living person could see them. Granted, when the music ended they disappeared, but when they played, they were completely visible and could be heard.

Their minds were racing with questions as to how that happened, and plans of what they could do next. Saf, not so much.

She just waits on Julie. Once her sister comes up with an excuse and it's accepted by everyone, then the girl could relax and think about their next steps.

The tech guy runs on stage and looks around Julie.

"Hey, where'd the rest of the band go?" He asks, and Julie stands there, still coming up with an excuse.

"Come on, Julie." Saf whispers, though she doesn't have to wait for Julie to come up with an excuse. One of Carrie's dancers does it for her.

"Wait. Were those holograms?" She asks, excited. The tech guy and Julie both turn around and look at her.

Julie then looks at Saf, who gives her a nod. Holograms would do, even if it couldn't really explain her dead sister all that well.

"Yes! Yes, they were holograms." Julie laughs lightly, going along with the girls excuse.

"I plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff." She adds with a grin, pointing up at the projector and chuckling through it.

The students applaud and Saf looks around them in shock.

They really just accepted that without further explanation? Times have changed.