seven; brighter together

LOS FELIZ HIGH SCHOOLSOON

SOON

JULIE HAD LEFT for school not too long ago, leaving Luke, Alex, Reggie and Saf to their thoughts in the studio. Everyone was giddy with anticipation about Julie's success, but not one of them wanted to stay and wait.

They had decided to go and give her some support in the next half hour, and watch her play. They couldn't just stay here and do anything. But time was going slower than usual, and everyone was getting anxious.

Saf was pacing the studio, humming Bright in her head, hoping and praying that Julie made it back into the programme. This meant so much to her sister, and Saf only wanted what was best for her. This was just that.

Alex sits behind his drum set, twiddling his sticks and tapping at his cymbals. Reggie stands around strumming on his guitar, and Luke watches them all, trying to remain calm.

"Did anyone even hear her practice the song?" Saf suddenly says aloud, her mind racing with the possibility that the girl was going out on a whim.

The boys look at each other and hum, unsure of the answer. Saf groans.

"What if she freezes? Or, or, or the piano doesn't work? What if they don't listen to her?" She exclaims, throwing her hands up in exasperation and pinching the bridge of her nose.

This makes Luke get up and ghost over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

"They will. They have to." He reassures her, but Saf just groans, looking at Alex and Reggie with hopelessness.

"And in the likelihood that they don't, we've rehearsed this song. We can just come in and provide the backing track to give her that boost of power." He adds, giving her a grin.

Saf sighs, turning to him with folded arms. He looks down at her, his hands still firmly on her shoulders as he looks her in the eye.

"And that will be your opportunity to join her, Saf." He tells her warmly.

The girl sighs.

"I don't know the song like you guys do." She tells them softly.

She wasn't trying to find a way out of the opportunity to sing alongside Julie, but there was part of her that was telling her not to. If she couldn't be heard, she'd have wasted her time.