twenty-three; edge of great

THE STUDIO
THAT EVENING

NERVES. THATS WHAT Saf was feeling; a huge range of nerves. Her emotions were running wild in her mind, thoughts of Luke and wanting to sing with him, and tell him she did like him, and then the thoughts of focusing on the music with Julie.

Which she was trying to do, as of right now.

The band had rehearsed many times since Julie had returned home. They had barely even given the girl a chance to have a drink and something to eat before she was being ushered into the studio, a microphone shoved in her face.

Of course, she didn't object; this was something she had been looking forward to all day.

And, singing with Julie seemed to calm Saf's nerves. Her sister gave her an excuse not to look at Luke too much, but Julie could see she was struggling, and knew all too well how Saf felt towards him.

She had seen the way they looked at each other during Finally Free, how they acted around one another in the studio and when they visited her in school.

Nothing got past Julie Molina.

Now, however, guests and friends were arriving for the house party, and Saf was trying not to let her nerves get the better of her.

She peers through the windows of the studio, gazing upon the number of teenagers in the audience, many of them holding cups of whatever drink her father was serving. Of course, non-alcoholic. These were kids, after all.

Her eyes land on a tall, blonde boy, Nick, and Saf grins, turning around to look at her sister as she fiddles with some ribbon which she was making last minute arrangements with.

Ray and Julie had spent the last hour decorating the studio for their performance; it was their fathers idea. He wanted it to look special for Julie, and actually make it look professional for it to be filmed. And they'd done an amazing job at decorating.

Purple streamers flowed around the room, gold and purple stars decorated the ceiling, yellow bolts bedazzled the doors, and the words Julie and The Phantoms laid rest outside on the front.

"Hey, look who's here." Saf grins, calling over to her sister. The girl places the ribbons back on the wall before hopping over to Saf, who motions towards the window.

Julie stands on her tiptoes and her eyes widen when she notices the boy in the blue bomber jacket.

"He actually came." She exclaims quietly, holding back a smile on her face. Saf rolls her eyes.

"Why would he not? You guys have a thing for each other, he's not gonna miss this." She tells her sister, gazing back at Nick, who gazes in awe around him, a cup in his hand.