twenty-one; second chance at greatness

THE MOLINA HOUSEHOLD
THE NEXT MORNING

GETTING TO SLEEP that night was a feat in itself; Saf's mind was running laps thanks to Luke, and she was wired with emotion.

They had both confessed the feelings that they had been keeping hidden, only for Saf to relapse and cower in the memories and emotions from the past. And she hated herself for it, despite knowing that taking it slow was the right thing to do.

But, and she knew that someone in her position would agree, the fear of someone hurting her the way Danny had done was a very valid reason for waiting. And it was perfectly reasonable to hold onto the thought and take a step back.

Breakups were hard, even if it ended on mutual terms and both partners were happy. But when one cheated on the other, that leaves a very heavy scar, one that Saf wears with weight.

She wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around Luke and say yes, yes to him, yes to being together, yes to happiness. But, in order to do so, she needed just a little time to think.

Time to properly decide if this was what she wanted, that she was happy with herself, fully moved on from Danny, and ready to try something new.

Of course, the answer was yes, to all of it. But she just needed reassurance. And, today was the day to find it.

As of right now, Saf was standing in the kitchen of her home, leaning on the island counter top watching Reggie sing with Ray, her father completely blanking the ghosts.

It was obvious that the man had watched their performance last night; he knew all the words to Finally Free, and had the melody spot on.

"I got a spark in me, hands up if you can see." He sings, sorting out breakfast and frying bacon for Julie and Carlos.

Saf smiles warmly. Hearing her father sing so freely, with so much energy and happiness, was something she had missed so much. Ray very rarely sang, even when Saf and her mom were alive, but whenever he'd hear a new song they had all created, she'd always catch him singing tiny bits.

She never realised just how special those moments would become, especially after her mom died.

"And you're a part of me, hands up if you're with me. I got a spark in me...," Reggie joins in with Ray and Saf let's out a chuckle, before noticing Julie walk down the stairs with a look of surprise.

"Hands up, yeah!" Reggie grins at the man, as Julie shakes her head at Saf before placing her school bag on the chair next to her.

"This is new." She says with a smile, looking over at Reggie who beams like a small child.