In the cave

"You may now visit the Azhagiya Singar, he meditates in a cave at this time, in those thick forests beyond"

It was one of the acharyas slightly senior, in his mid forties, and his face rooted in a calm demeanour, bearing the  Thiruman Sricharanam prominently on his forehead.

And they began the trek, as Ramalinga, looked up at the Nallamala Hills, stretching wide, the peaks covered with mists and clouds, while the thick jungles carpeted the slopes in a hue of green and blue. 

Fording running streams, listening to the calls of the birds, the chirping of the insects, they made their way through the forest path, amidst large trees, with their creepers, dangling to the ground.  The air was thick with humidity, as drops of sweat, began to glisten on the torso of Ramalinga, the thorns on the forest floor pricking the feet.

The trek grew steeper, as they made it up, holding the stones, balancing gently, stepping to avoid any snakes, that often nestled among the grass, hidden to most.  Monkeys jumped on the branches, chattering away, some curiously looking.  In the distance, could be heard the sounds of elephants trumpeting, and a tiger roaring somewhere. 

As they climbed higher, a massive pillar of stone, rose in the forest,  triangular in shape, with one plain rock hewn face, towards their side, towering above all.

"That is the Ugra Stambham, it's believed that Shree Narasimha, emerged from this pillar to slay Hiranyakashipu".

And soon they came across a narrow ledge, flanked by the hills on one side, while a sheer drop, fell right into the valley below. One wrong step could lead to certain death.  Ramalinga, paced his steps slowly along the ledge, looking out at the breath taking beauty of the valley below. 

After what seemed to be an eternity, they crossed the ledge, and finally reached their destination, a huge cave, yawning in darkness, right in the face of the hills.

"Narasimha appeared to Garuda in this cave, on praying, which accounts for the name Ahobilam. This is where our Azhagiya Singar meditates, totally away from the world, seeking the enlightenment."

As they entered the cave, a pitch darkness, began to envelop, one of the team lighted a huge torch, that began to throw eerie shadows on the walls.  The only sounds that could be heard, were from the noisy colony of bats, above, as they flew and squeaked, and the dripping of water. 

And there he was sitting on a rock, cross legged in deep trance, a light from a sky hole above falling on him, dressed in a simple red dhoti,holding the staff in his hands. 

Sri Satagopa Yathindra Maha Desikan, the 7th Azhagiya Singar.

As the senior acharya, came to him, and whispered in his ear, he opened his eyes slowly

"Pemmasani Ramalinga Nayaka, I had been waiting for you from long".

Ramalinga bowed reverentially before the Singar, prostrating in full and then kneeling before him, hands folded. In that one moment, he felt all the pain, torture and misery he suffered, being washed away.  He felt a huge burden, being lifted from his shoulders, as a sense of calm, and inner peace pervaded him.

"It must have been some good karma, I did in my past life, that I am able to see you with my own eyes, I do not desire anything more."

"You have a long road ahead Ramalinga, your duty and oath beckons you, the enemy is bearing down on us".

"Who is the enemy here Azhagiya?  My own who have backstabbed me. My people who hailed me as a hero one day, and pelted stones on me as a traitor. I had given my life for the Empire, and yet today it casts me out, disowns me."

"I have seen greed and selfishness among my own, I have seen brothers turn on each other, I have seen sons kill their father.  Here I have seen peace and tranquility, a sense of contenment, which all the riches have never given me"

The wrinkled face of the Azhagiya broke out in a wide smile

"My son, you know why we reside in peace and tranquility here, it is because there are men like you who guard us. You ensure that the barbarians do not destroy our way of life, and even give up your lives for it".

"Today Vijayanagara stands as a bulwark, against the Mohameddan invasions that have ravaged the North.  The temples still stand proud and tall,  we indulge in the study of the Vedas and Upanishads and sleep in peace at night, for we know, out there, we have people like you to protect us. Your ancestors faced as much intrigue and treachery, yet they never walked away from the path of Dharma, they fought back every inch"

"A Kshatriya, never surrenders or walks away from battle Ramalinga, this is what your enemies wanted.  They now rejoice in your misery, for they know that no threat shall come to their nefarious designs. Do not let them win, it is not a fight for yourself, it is a battle for the very existence of the Empire, and our Dharma"

The words spoken, with authority, by the Azhagiya, lifted Ramalinga's spirits as he humbly prostated in front of him.

"I had come here wanting to walk on the path of renunciation, but you have reminded me that as a true Kshatriya, it is my Dharma to pick up the sword and fight."

As he protrated  in front of the Azhagiya Singar, touching his feet, he felt the hand touching him, as he felt an unseen force surging through his body.  He would have to fight a lone battle, but he had the blessings of the holy one.