Love blooms

"Come I have to show you something"

And before he could even react, Chenchi caught his hand, and began to lead him. There was something in the way she held his hand, it was firm, gentle, but he could feel something more. He really could not explain it, but she clasped it so firm, not wanting to let go. The hand that held many a sword so effortlessly was shaking a bit, for the first time ever.

He stumbled a bit, on the slippery rocks, as she laughed

"What happened, is age catching up with you? Or you want me to pull you up?"

And her laughter, like a brook running over the pebbles, coming from within. There was a tone of mockery in the voice, but with no malice. He had lost faith in humanity, during all those months of torture, being jeered by the mob, betrayed, back stabbed and hounded. But he had regained it, first at the Ahobila Matha,then these guileless Chenchus, the kind hearted Pedda Ayya, and now Chenchi.

She led him up a steep trail through the forest, climbing up from slope to slope, as he somewhat struggled to keep pace with her gliding with the effortless grace of an antelope. Everytime she stopped, looked back, and smiled, waiting for him to catch up,his heart skipped a beat. What was happening to him?

All his life, had passed in battles, bloodshed and intrigue, that he never really thought about love. He had lived life, under constant danger, he never even knew if he would make it back alive or not. And even if he did, he lived under the constant fear of devils lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce on him. How could he even imagine what love was about?

He had only seen women, go quite in his presence, or bow their head, and walk away at times blushing. And here was she  so open with him, holding his hand, leading him. And he really did not know what to make of it. It was a feeling he never experienced in his life.

The trees grew taller, as the sunlight filtered through the canopies. The chatter of the monkeys, the chirping and squawking of the birds, the insects crawling, were the only sounds. And then he heard her singing, in one of the most dulcet tones ever. It was so soft and soothing. She turned back and saw him listening intently.

"This is a song, my mother used to sing when I was a baby, it's an ode to the forest goddess, we don't see her, but it's said she keeps watch over us always, and protects us"

They were walking over a narrow rope bridge over a gushing stream, as she effortlessly balanced on it tip toeing from one wooden log to another, while he held the ropes, and ambled across.

"You know we Chenchus have a song for every occassion, when we are born, when we get married, when we have a feast, when we go for a hunt, or when we work. It just comes naturally to us."

She began to hack away the bushes, through a narrow trail, with tall trees on either side, as he followed her, he could hear a distant roar, that seemed to get louder, until she stopped.

"Here we are"

As she stepped out on to a rocky ledge, he almost felt his breath being taken away by the sight.

They were just a couple of feet away from the massive waterfall, that roared, with all the might down, sending a spray of white mist,as it crashed on the rocks below. The white wall of water, crashed down, with such sheer force, spraying the water on them. As he tried to shield himself, he saw her.

She was turning around in the spray, her hands catching the water drops, as she whirled around, with all the abandon, her robe fully drenched, clinging to her. He was just transfixed at her, the sheer abandon and zest in her, her child like nature and impish smile.

And she slipped and was about to fall, when he held her by the waist. They stood in the wet spray, the water, drenching them, as they looked into each other's eyes. No words were spoken, only the eyes, spoke through. And she blushed for the first time ever after he had met her, there was a desire in her eyes. But was it love?

And as suddenly she let herself free from his grasp.

"It is getting late now, the wild beasts will be comming soon, we need to go"

The voice was different, it was tentative, unsure, this was not the girl he had seen earlier. The sun began to set casting shadows, in the forest.  Silence reigned in the air as they made their way back.