Ugra Stambham

As the party made their way down the steep trail, Ramalinga Nayaka, paused, the Ugra Stambham, the pillar from which Narasimha was believed to have emerged and slayed Hiranyakashipu. The sight of the stone, towering above the forest, standing proud in it's isolation, filled his heart with a curiosity and yearning. 

"There is some unseen power, that is beckoning me to the Ugra Stambham, I cannot see it, but I feel it is overpowering presence, you make your way,I shall join later"

The others around looked at each other in a mix of bewilderement, no one had even attempted to go there, and this man wanted to climb it.  Was he insane?  

"So far no one has even gone there Ramalinga, the path to it is strewn with thorns, rocks, poisonous serpents lurking in the undergrowth, and strong winds around it's peak.", it was the eldest of the lot.

"Acharya, for the last few months, I have been dying every single moment. By the grace of Narasimha, I had been close to the jaws of death, before he pulled me back, and bought  me to his holy abode.  And now he again beckons me, somewhere on the pillar".

"I do not fear the beasts Acharya, I have seen the real ones, they walk on two legs, and often stab in the back. I do not fear the serpents Acharya, more venom exists in the mind of humans, than in their fangs. I have seen death,and  I fear nothing now".

"Your mind is made up Ramalinga Nayaka, and I know that nothing stops you. May the blessings of Narasimha be with you and protect you from harm".

And he began his ardous trek to the top of the pillar, cutting through the thick forest undergrowth, pulling out the thorns sticking to his feet and legs, until he reached the base of the pillar. He gazed up at the peak of the pillar stretching into the skies, as mists enveloped it's peak. Drawing in a breath, he made a silent prayer to Narasimha, as he began the climb up along the trail.

The narrow trail hugged the craggy peaks, on one side, while the other side,was a sheer drop into the valley.  As the strong winds blew around the trail, he held on to the rocky ledges, to prevent himself from being swept away.  The trail became steeper and steeper, as he grabbed the rocks nearby to support himself, while on the other hand, the drop in to the valley became more steeper. And soon the trail ended, with only a large mass looming ahead of him, the only way he could make it to the top,was by climbing along the ledges.

Taking a deep breath, Ramalinga Nayaka,began to scale  his way up the sheer cliff face, grabbing the jutting out rocks for support, stepping from one ledge to another. Around him the winds howled fiercely, almost throwing him off balance, as he grasped at the rock. One wrong step, could see him plunging right into the valley below.  Bringing in all his strength, he grasped every rock, every hanging out branch, as he made his way up. 

His ankles bled from the sharp cuts on the rocks, the sole of his feet were completely sore, from all the trek, his palms were swelling from the constant pressure of the rocks, while he was being buffeted more and more by the winds around. The howling winds, the distant flashes of the thunder,  the jungle valley, right under his feet, just seemed so other worldly. He really had no idea why he was pushing himself up, in what was a suicidal mission. 

Every moment seemed like ages, as he hauled himself up inch by inch across the cliff, gasping for breath, balancing himself against the howling winds, and slithering serpents, which he grabbed and threw away.  The rough hewn tunic across his upper torso, was the only protection against the biting cold,now, which the winds threatened to tear away from him. He could not even grab and hold on to it, with both his hands grasping every rock and ledge. 

And finally he saw the top of the pillar, just a couple of feet away from him.  Stiffening his body, taking a deep breath, and saying a silent prayer to Narasimha, he hauled himself with all the strength left.  And fell face down, on the flat surface of the pillar, lying for what seemed to be an eternity.  Regaining his breath and composure slowly, he raised himself up and stood on the top.

With his hands on his waist, he looked around, from the top of the pillar, winds howled around him,thick mists hovered around, as he looked out, into the vastness of the valley below. All by himself on the Ugra Stambham,  as he peered at the thick canopy of the jungle, spread out,like a carpet of green. All the pain and weariness, seemed to have veered off, as an energy surged through his body.

Some unseen spirit had propelled him, up to the top of the pillar,  braving the most hostile winds ever.  Pemmasani Ramalinga Nayaka, felt rejuvenated, prepared to take on the world. They had hounded him, got him arrested, tortured, but they could not break down his spirit. As the winds howled louder, it sounded like the furious roars of Narasimha echoing in the vastness, urging him to go forth and wreck vengenance, on all those who had hurt him.