The face off

Ismail Adil Shah, heard the drumbeats and trumpets, as they rippled across the landscape. Of a medium build, a strong physique, a fair complexion that reflected his Turkish lineage, the Sultan of Bijapur, was the most powerful among the Bahmani rulers. With deep set eyes that often could pierce you with their looks, a nose as sharp as a hawk's beak, and a trimmed beard, he commanded loyalty and respect. He was no stranger to challenges and adversity. He came face to face with adversity, when he was just eleven years old. They bought his father, Yusuf Adil Shah home, covered in arrows, struck down like a prey. He remembered staring at the lifeless body of his father, with arrows all over, holding on to his mother. He recalled his mother shaking with sorrow, as her wails echoed in the palace. And the man, who killed his father, was now planning to take Raichur. Krishna Deva Raya, his father's murderer, had hunted down his father, like a prey at Kovilonda and shot him down. His father had set out to attack Vijayanagara and return in glory, he had come back, a lifeless corpse covered in arrows. And it was the Raya, who pursued his father, after defeating him on the battle field, and killed him.

He had seen betrayal, treachery and intrigue from up close. And yet if he managed to survive and emerge a far stronger person, it was due to his mother Punji Khatun. A woman as beautiful as she was intelligent, she was his guide. When his regent Kamal Khan imprisoned him in a palace coup, it was his mother who hatched, a counter plot and got Kamal stabbed to death. She was the one who helped him to govern the state, when he was too young. He had single handedly defeated the rulers of Berar, Bidar, Ahmednagar and Golkonda, when they attacked him. He repelled an invasion of Sholapur by Nizam Shah of Ahmednagar. He was considered one of the toughest opponents on the battle field, and had one of the most formidable artillery ever.

The challenge Ismail, faced today was however more formidable, he had to face one of the largest armies ever. An army led by Krishna Deva Raya, that had come with the single minded ambition of capturing Raichur. The Raya, a warrior, whom the Bahmani rulers feared the most, at whose name, most soldiers ran away from the battlefield. But Ismail was not one to be cowed down by sheer numbers. He knew he could count on his artillery at any time. And above all, there was the Raya, the man who killed his father. Ever since the murder of his father, he grew up with one burning desire. Vengeance against the Raya, he would never know peace until he avenged the murder. It seemed Allah, heard his prayers, had sent the Raya, right into his presence, it was the time to pay back.

Dressed in the flowing robes, a conical turban on his head, the armor fastened to his long kaftan, his sword firmly in his scabbard, Ismail Adil Shah, mounted his finest Arab horse. As he rode along the lines, to inspect the troops, they bowed respectfully to him. He could sense the trepidation among his forces, many seemed intimidated by the sheer size of the enemy.

"Salabat Khan, how many do the Kafirs have" he asked his general, one of the most skilled warriors in his army, of medium height and build, a swarthy tanned skin, and a thick beard.

"They have around seven lakh soldiers in five divisions, your Highness, and the Raya himself heads the attack, along with Pemmasani Ramalinga Nayaka, one of their most feared warriors. And we have around one lakh, fifty thousand, with the artillery backup. Our soldiers seem intimidated by the sheer size and noise". Replied Salabat.

"Ha who cares for numbers" said the Adil Shah dismissively, "even sheep congregate in large numbers. What matters is not the numbers, but making those numbers. The Kaafirs have large number indeed, but we have one of the most formidable artillery, there is nothing to despair".

"Salabat, spread out the army as wide as it goes, keep the artillery in reserve. The Raya would try to outflank us, and that would mean spreading his resources all over. This would make the center weak, and then we launch the attack there".

Salabat bowed, and turning back, roared out loud, " All divisions spread out as far as you can, don't leave one bit of land, unoccupied. Those Kaafirs should not even dare to come even close to Raichur, spread out in all directions".

From the other end, of the field, the Raya and Ramalinga watched the scene intently, at the front of their forces. The Bijapur forces were moving out, and covering a wide area, ensuring that no empty space was left to break through.

"The Adil Shah, seems to have planned this well, Raya, he intends to make you outflank him, spreading our army wide, until it leaves holes in our defense".

"Well Ramalinga, we make the charge, the Adil Shah, shall certainly not get his wish fulfilled, let's attack".

Ramalinga nodded, turned back, to the archers "On the mark, set your aim".

The archers marched in unison, mounted the arrows, on their bows, and stood, tensed, ready to fire at a single command.

"Timappa on my left with 200 men each, Gandra Raya, stand back in reserve, Kumara Verappa, flank me on the right with another 400 men, I shall command from the front, at my signal, charge into the enemy."

"We are ready Raya".

The conches blew, the trumpets roared signaling the war.