Ahobilam

Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Parabhramane Nama

Sri Navaneetha Krishna Pararabhramane Nama

Sri Satakopaya Nama:

Sri Nigamantha Maha Desikaya Nama:

Srimate Sri Lakshmi Narasimhaya Divya Paduka Sevaka 

Srivan Satakopa Sri Narayana, Yateendhra Maha Desikaya Nama

Srimate Srivan Satakopa Sri Ranganatha Yatheendra Maha Desikaya Nama:

The mantras rang out loud and clear, from the courtyard, waking up Ramalinga Nayaka from his sleep. Raising himself from his coarse bed, he draped the shawl across his upper torso, as he walked out of his room, into the narrow corridors. 

And right out there in the sprawling courtyard, where seated hundreds of students, all of them barely in their teens, chanting the mantras in perfect synchronization, dressed in spotless white dhotis, janeus draped across their chests, hands folded in reverence and devotion.  

The students sat cross legged in symmetrical rows, chanting with pure devotion and faith, around the yagna in the center of the courtyard,  as a dozen priests, poured ghee, into the firing, chanting the holy mantras in unison.

The flames of the yagna burning in the center of the courtyard, the chants of the mantras echoing, the sight of the young students chanting with complete reverence and dedication, for the first time in his life after ages, Ramalinga Nayaka, felt an inner peace within himself.  He had fought battles, subdued opponents, and yet every victory had only made him more weary and tired.  

As the rays of the sun fell on his face, and the cool breeze from the forest around caressed him lovingly, he felt a release from all the pain, and torture he had suffered. He felt himself being lifted into another world, echoing with the chants of the hymns around.  Maybe this was what heaven was all about.

"On one of the mountains in the Nallamalai hills range, eight amadas from Srisaila Kshetra, Garuda commenced silent penance to obtain a vision of Lord Narasimha who destroyed Hiranyakasipu. The Lord in his grace, after long years of the tapas of Garuda, manifested Himself in the cave of a mountain"

Ahobilam, the abode of Lakshmi Narasimha nestled in the lap of the Nallamala forests, the very Ugra Narasimha, who towered over Hampi, whose presence had protected the city from many an invasion.  So many times, he had yearned to visit Ahobilam, but never could, and today the Lord himself beckoned him to his abode. 

As the chants echoed even more, he felt a voice disturbing his reverie, it was one of the priests, a slightly younger man in his early thirties, hair rolled neatly into a tuft, and the Srivaishnava Urdhva Pundra, representing the feet of Narayana with Lakshmi in middle on the forehead. He would have been one of the gurus for the students there.

"I hope you have rested well, do have the bath and meals, Srimad Azhagiya Singar wishes to meet you "

The Azhagiya Singar, the head of the Ahobila Matham, one of the holiest men, whose blessing was sought by many a ruler, chieftain, scholar, writer. Only a few had the privilege of seeing him, and even talking to him. And yet here he was being invited.

Stripped to just his dhoti, Ramalinga took a dip in the cool waters of the forest stream nearby, as he prayed to the Sun, waters cupped in his palms. As the water washed off the grime, dirt, over his body, and soothed the wounds, he felt rejuvenated, the strength returning back to him once more.

He sat along with the other students in a long dining hall, cross legged on the ground, as most of them looked with awe and wonder, at his large frame, thick moustache, long locks of hair,  wondering about the mysterious stranger. As the simple meal of curd, fruits, rice and vegetabls was served on the plantain leaves, began an elaborate ritual by every one assembled.

AsmAkam nityam astu Etat

The hall echoed with the chants, addressing the meal to be undertaken.  And as every one assembled in the hall, cupped a small amount of water in their right palm, and sprinkled it around the leaf in a clockwise direction, chanting the Gayatri Mantra, Ramalinga too did the same.

That was followed by a nyasam, touching the top of the head, chanting prANAgnihotramanthrasya bhrahmA rushi: , the tip of the nose, anushtup cchandha:, the heart, vaishvAnarAgnirdevathA and finally bringing both the palms, towards the face, chanting prANAgnihotrE viniyOgha:.

And then they again held the water in their right palm, putting it around the leaf in a clockwise direction, chanting sathyam thvarthEna parishinchAmi.

Every one in the hall, began to lift the top left corner of the leaf using only the thumb, index finger and middle finger of the left hand. And as the Perumal Theertham was served, every one sprinkled it on their food first, and then held it in their left palm. Only after the Theertham was served to all, did every one take it in chanting the Amruthopastharanamasi mantra. 

 As Ramalinga Nayaka, took a tiny amount of rice and ghee, holding it using only his thumb, index finger and middle finger of his right hand, swallowing it without chewing, he felt a sense of contentment, he never had while partaking in many a rich feast.  

There was something inherently divine about the atmosphere, a discipline, an air of calmness, in sharp contrast to the gluttony and drunken revelry, he had witnessed at many a feast.  What would he not do to give it up all for this.

As he began to eat the simple meal, served to him, he felt the pangs of hunger that he had been feeling since months, slowly vanish. No grand feast ever satiated his hunger, more than this meal that he was partaking now.