The Carpet Seller

"Stop there, who are you, and what brings you here?"

The rickety cart, stood in front of the gates of the fort, carrying a covered wagon, made of wood, fraying at the edges. The driver was quite stocky, with a slight hunch, a longish, greying beard, wrinkles covering his face, the conical turban over his head, a coarse grey tunic touching till the knees, and a pair of soiled pajamas with stain flecks all over. The rather rough face with slight wrinkles, was that which had seen many hard days in the open. The horse drawing the cart, seemed not particularly well fed either, it's ribs showing prominently, over the skin folds, as it stood forlonly. 

"I am a poor carpet seller sir, eking out a living just to sustain myself. I heard that the ruler here seeks good carpets for his chambers, I bring in the finest Persian carpets"

A rather coarse, pleading voice, showing off a row of stained teeth, as he spoke. From his shabby demeanour, unkempt appearance, he did not seem much like a seller of fine carpets to the guard. As he demanded the man, to show his carpets, he uncovered the wagon behind,and indeed dumped together were some rather ordinary looking carpets, coarse, tattered, certainly not for the king. 

"Finest carpets these? Are you out of your mind? You want to present these to the king, he will first punish me for letting in some one like you here"

"Sir please, I am a poor man, just give me a space to trade my wares, I assure you that I would get a fair price for them. And whatever I get from the king, you shall be having your share".

The guard thought about it for a moment, well he was certainly not getting much in his current job, he could sure do with some extra money on the side.  And what harm could possibly be done,by this unkempt,shabby looking old man. And he waved him in.

"Thank you kind sir, may Allah shower his blessings on you"

Abu Hassan smiled, showing off his rotten, stained teeth, as he walked into the fort. The disguise had worked well, the old, faded robes on his body, the disguised hunch as he walked bent with a slight limp, had fooled many.  And the fact that he had not bathed, for all the days, he had ridden from Bijapur to Gandikota, gave him an even more unkempt appearance.

He took in the sights around, as he walked the streets of Gandikota, it was mid noon, the sun beating down harshly.  The traders had set up their wares for the day, haggling with the customers, some sold spices, some sold precious stones, some brass vessels while some sold ornaments.  Blacksmiths polished and shone, the soldier's swords, as they waited by,  while horse traders with the finest Arab horses, negotiated a fair price with rich nobles. 

While not as sprawling and magnificient as Hampi, the city was fairly large, spread out on the hillocks. In the corner was what seemed a temple to another of those false gods these idolaters worshipped. He would have loved to demolish them with his hands, but now was not the time for it. As he passed by the streets and bazaars, the palaces and stately mansions belonging to the nobles came into being. 

He unfurled the cloth covering his wagon, and began to shout out in a loud voice.

"Carpets, beautiful carpets for your homes, gentlemen, buy one, and give this poor man a means to make a living. Allah shall shower his blessings on you"

The ladies of the homes around, looked on with bemusement at this strange, ugly looking man with a hunch, and limp, selling some old, tattered carpets. Who would really want to buy them from him, not even the dweller of the most humble abode would.

As Abu Hassan, kept calling out, walking in the hot sun, limping along, two guards came along and caught him by both arms.

"Sir, sir please, I am a poor old carpet seller, I just come here to sell my wares"

"Our master wishes to talk to you"

As he looked up, he saw a young man, dressed in a fine silken red and gold tunic, with a spotless white pyjamas under it, sitting atop a horse, a greenish colored square turban on his head. 

"Who are you ,and what do you wish to do here"

"I am a poor carpet seller, your noble self, seeking a place to sell my wares.I come all the way from Bijapur"

"Your carpets seem old, tattered, faded, of what use they could be to us"

"Do not go by what you see sir, these carpets, might not look rich, but they can sure, conceal many cracks in the floor and cover a lot of secrets"

The young man thought about for some time, and then nodding back in a matter of fact tone.

"You can sell your wares in the north west corner of the bazaar, there is an old shop there, that has  not been much in use. However do check the floors of the shop well, before you set shop, especially in the corner, it's said many a poisonous snakes roam around there".

"Blessings of Allah on your soul, noble one. You are kind and benevolent, I shall handle those snakes worry not".

As Abu Hassan bowed and raised his palm in supplication, he grinned to himself, he had gained the entrance into the fort, now was left to execute the mission. As he walked away with a limp, Erra Timma kept looking at the receding figure, the plot was in place, but he had to ensure,that it was kept a secret.