Ch.38: I Know What You Did Last Summer

It's a beautiful day, as Elena and I lay in bed. It's already past summer. That means Elena will be leaving for Whitmore college. The same college where her foster parents met. Ever since she graduated, Stefan's been uncommunicative, while Katherine has been who knows where. Elena shoved the cure down her throat, considering Katherine tried to kill her in revenge and anger. She thinks Elena said something to make Elijah leave back when Elena had her humanity turned off. I understand Katherine keeping a low profile. As a human, she'll die if an enemy finds out that she's human. I know I act like I could care less, but I do care. A part of me will always love her. That's something that I will never admit to anyone, though. The one thing that Elena will have to learn someday though, is that the plus of being a vampire is being able to love one person, while being in love with another person. That's why most vampires have more than one person that they're with.

Several hours later, after making out and having fun in bed, we're in the middle of making out, when Little Gilbert, her brother, comes in after having left a while ago. Elena quickly stops and gets off of me, looking at him.

"Hey, um, sor...I thought you left."

"I did. Uh, five hours ago."

I'm seated on the couch, as I make a motion with my hand for him to go.

"Okay, Well, there's, uh, there's pizza in the fr...," she begins, but Jeremy goes up the stairs. She then turns around, sighing and chuckling.

That night, Elena's taking a bath in my bathtub, as she looks at her phone. As she does so, I'm standing in front of my mirror after having taken a shower, nothing but a towel around myself. Then, when I turn around to look at her, I see that she has her phone against her lips with a look on her face.

"You okay?" I ask her.

"Yeah. I've just got this weird feeling like something bad's about to happen," she tells me.

"Well, it is," I say, as I sit on the edge of my bathtub across from her. "You're leaving tomorrow. You're trading all this for communal showers and a meal plan."

"Can't you just be a normal boyfriend and support me as I attempt to have a normal college experience?" she asks me.

I lean in, my face just inches from hers.

"I'd rather ply you with champagne and spend the night convincing you to stay," I answer her, before we kiss.

The next day, after she goes off to college, I get Jeremy off to school.

A few hours later, I'm at home talking to Elena over the phone, because she wants to tell me how her day has been so far. When she tells me that her and Caroline's roommate is someone that none of us know that's a human, I suggest for her to compel her to leave, which apparently is the same thing Caroline told her, but Elena wants to have a vampire free college experience. Because of that, she wants to deal with the problem a different way. I then inform her that Jeremy has gone to school and everything is okay so far.

"So, you're saying that me being here and you being there. This could actually work," she says, as I follow the sense that tells me that a very familiar presence is in my house. Then, when I follow that presence to my living room, I see a very disheveled, human Katherine standing in my living room.