Ch. 21: The Sun Also Rises

It's a beautiful day, as Elena and Elijah walk inside the boarding house. Stefan and I are in the living room. Katherine is missing now, and Elena is ready to give her life to save everyone else.
"You invited him in?" I ask.
"Yes. Elijah has promised to forgive us for killing him, if we apologize. He's going to help us," Elena tells us both.
"I'm not apologizing for killing him," I tell her.
Stefan apologizes for killing Elijah, and then Elena looks at Elijah after I tell her that and says, "He'll come around."
"I doubt it," Elijah replies to her.
Elijah explains to us all about the Moon curse that was cast upon Klaus, before he pulls out an elixir and a dagger. The dagger will be used to kill Klaus, which Elijah will do, he tells us. He also tells us that the elixir will bring Elena back to life after Klaus kills her in the ritual. I don't like it, though.
After Elijah leaves, I force-feed Elena my blood to be sure that she will come back to life. I don't apologize to her for doing so, but I am sorry for doing it. I don't like taking away Elena's free will to do what she wants. I care for her too much to lose her, though.
Later, Andie and I go to Ric's place and knock, guessing where Katherine is at.
When Katherine opens the door, I know that I was right.
"What are you doing?" she asks me.
Andie walks inside the apartment and gives her the bottle of vervain, before she walks outside and stands beside me again.
"Seeing if you're worthy of our help," I reply, before I walk away.

Later that afternoon, I find out that Tyler and Caroline have been captured and are being held in a cellar. I go to the rescue, only to see Matt Donovan come towards me in the woods with his rifle raised to me.
"Where's Caroline?" he asks me.
"Easy," I say, before I knock him out with his own rifle at vamp speed. I then go in search of Caroline Forbes and Tyler Lockwood. I don't care about Tyler, but I do care about Caroline. Caroline and I had a thing once upon a time, and she's Elena's best friend.
When I find them, I unchain Caroline.
"Let's go," I say.
"I'm not going without him," she says.
I sigh in irritation that I have to rescue a werewolf too, but Caroline can be very stubborn, so I have to do what she wants, or we'll never get out of here. So, I unchain Tyler and we head for the Lockwood cellar since it won't be long before Tyler will start to phase werewolf. And I don't feel like getting into a fight with a fully phased werewolf tonight. Not if I don't have to, anyway.

We stop when Tyler starts phasing and he says, "I can't hold it off. It's happening too quickly. You have to leave me. Go."
"No. We're almost there," Caroline urges him.
It's no use, though, because a few minutes later, he's a phasing werewolf and lunges towards Caroline. I know I must protect Elena's best friend, so at vamp speed, I go to stand between him and Caroline. And then, when he lunges towards her, I push him away from her and he lunges for me. Then I'm on the ground on my back with Tyler on top of me, hands on his shoulders to try and keep him from biting me. I don't feel like dying anytime soon.
Finally, I push him off me and we run for our lives. And as we do, Matt uses his rifle to shoot at Tyler.

Later on, I go to Ric's place again and open the door. Klaus is there this time. Katherine is there, too. She's in a corner, as she watches us, when I walk in, since there's no longer an invisible shield blocking my way.
"I wasn't expecting you," Klaus greets, though it's not really a greeting.
"I have come to be part of the ritual tonight."
"Be a good vampire and don't screw this up," Klaus answers me, before he rushes towards me at super speed, and then everything goes black.

When I wake up, Katherine is knelt at my side and Klaus is gone. I'm on my back on the floor.
"Why didn't you do anything?" I ask her, as I start to my feet and she does likewise.
"If I had, Klaus would know that I'm on vervain. He can't know," she replies.
"I gave you vervain so you can have your own choice," I answer her.
I make it to my feet, and she notices something on my arm that I didn't notice before.
"What's that?" she asks me.
I look at my arm and then at her.
"A werewolf bite," I answer her.
I sit at the table and look at it again.
"So...145 years and no last goodbye?" she asks me.
"For you?" I ask, looking at her. "You don't deserve a good bye."

That night, I arrive in the woods after the ritual. I go to Elena where she lays dead, and gently pick her up in my arms, before I stop by Stefan whom tells me to take her home.
"What about you?" I ask him.
"I'll be fine," he replies.
I walk towards the Gilbert house with her in my arms.

Once there, I gently lay her down on her couch in her living room and kneel in front of her. I gently brush some hair out of her face and tuck it behind her ear.
"I swear, if you wake up a vampire, I'll kill you myself," I vow.
I wait for her to wake up.

When she awakens, she puts a hand to the side of her head like it hurts her.
"How do you feel?" I ask her.
"I feel...fine," she answers me.
I sigh in relief.