23

Sunlight streamed through the window when my eyes fluttered open. Strong arms were wrapped around me as an even breathing caressed my back. Warmness radiated from my very core.

I felt like I was floating in cloud nine.

Chris shifted beside me, drawing me closer to him. My face broke into a soft smile at the way his hands clasped me tighter, in a protective manner, claiming me his. Softly, I placed my hand over his, caressing it, in what I hoped was an almost imperceptible way. I felt his lips tug up before he placed a soft kiss on my neck, sending little tingles to the rest of my body.

"Are you up?" My toes curled up at the rough tone of his voice.

"No," I cuddled closer to him.

His chest reverberated as he chuckled. Halfway through, his chortle stopped. "Farah," his hands clasped me tighter, "are you still on the pill?" his tone was soft but serious at the same time.

Repositioning myself, I moved until we were facing each other. His hand brushed the side of my waist as we gazed at each other. "I have an implant." Mom had made me get it before moving to California. The only reason I'd got it was because it made you have fewer periods. I cupped his chin, my heart soaring at the way he was looking at me.

It was so intense, as if he could stare through my soul.

I love you. I felt the need to say it, but I didn't know if I should. Even after this.

My chest tightened and I broke eye contact, placing my head on his chest, listening to the incessant thump of his heart as my eyes teared up. I couldn't tell how much time we stayed like that, his arms draped around my body, our legs entangled in each other. I could have stayed like that for the rest of my life and I would have been happy.

However, at some point, we heard the undeniable sound of someone making breakfast. Quite reluctantly, we pulled away from each other, not without making out, not caring if we had morning breath or not.

In that moment, it was us and only us.

And if we hadn't heard Cassie laughing at something Nate must have said, we would have made love to each other one more time.

I dressed with my cupcake pj's and Chris put on his boxers and jeans. He was shirtless because he'd dropped his t-shirt somewhere on the floor last night. Scrunching up my nose, I grimaced at all the teasing that was bound to happen from our friends.

Sensing this, Chris kissed me one more time before opening the door and stepping outside of the room. Instantly, Nate started to whistle. I rolled my eyes, blushing like crazy.

Laughing, Chris grabbed my hand and steered me out of the room. As expected, both Cassie and Nathan started mocking us; complaining about the noise and how they couldn't sleep because the bed was thumping against the wall, and a bunch of other lies. We had made sure not to make noise at all.

Cassie made breakfast since I was banned from the kitchen as Nathan. Afterwards, Chris and I cleaned up while they both got ready for the day. Washing the dishes turned out to be a challenge for me, because Chris was hugging me and trailed soft kisses on my neck as I tried not to brake my friend's tableware.

He laughed at my trembling hands, especially when his hands gripped me by the hips and he sucked on my ear. I wasn't complaining, though. I loved every minute of it.

After my shower, I couldn't stop smiling as I dressed in a pair of blue jeans and a flowery blouse. We were going to visit the Empire State building. I wasn't too keen to go since I'd always been afraid of heights, but I knew that Chris wanted to and I couldn't say no.

It was until the moment I had to leave the elevator that I realized what a bad idea it was. I seriously couldn't move. Chris cupped my chin and kissed me softly, pulling me away from the cabin and right into the middle of the hallway. "Open your eyes," he murmured softly as waves of air crashed against us.

I shook my head. "No," my stomach was churning uneasily as I grabbed onto Chris' shirt, gripping it tightly with clasped hands.

I couldn't see him, but I was pretty sure that he smiled at me before he dragged me to him, placing my head on his chest. I never opened my eyes. Not until we were halfway through the elevator on our way down. Yet, I have to admit that being encased by Chris on what felt the top of the world, felt nice. More than nice. It had been freaking awesome.

Nate asked me what else I'd like to visit, and I suggested the Love sculpture. I'd always thought that you couldn't come to New York without taking a picture with the monument on the background. It was packed with tourist as we arrived, but we waited patiently until it was our turn. Chris gave his camera to his friend, who took several shots of us; making faces, kissing and smiling.

When Nate returned his camera, we stepped away from the herd of people to see the photos. The camera was loading when Chris' phone rang. His face turned serious when he saw the number on his screen. Stepping away, still holding the camera in his hands, he took the call. Cassie grabbed my arm, gesturing to a newlywed couple who had just showed up to take their picture with the sculpture. We both swapped a look. That will be her in a year.

Still smiling, I glanced at Chris. He was running a hand through his hair and was clenching his jaw. My heart sank. Something is wrong.

He stepped to us. His face was pale and filled with concern. "I have to go," he glanced at Nathan, a strong emotion flickering through his eyes.

Nathan patted his arm. "Do you—"

"No." Chris shook his head. He gazed at me for a second before walking away. My stomach plummeted to the floor at the way he'd looked at me. It was as if he'd built a wall in the span of a second. He was detached and cold.

I stepped forward to reach out to him, but Nate grabbed my arm. "Give him space, Farah."

My eyes cut to him. "Space? What's going on here?" I glanced at Cassie. She was looking sorry, but I knew her. She was not going to tell me what she wasn't supposed to.

Fuck you, Nathan. I didn't say it, for my friend's benefit.

When I turned to the side, Chris was already gone. 

Thank you for reading me!