11

The purple tone in the inside of the coffee shop, combined with the lounge music gave off a soothing effect, a most welcome one. Especially since I hadn't been able to sleep properly all night and I'd avoided Chris like the plague all morning long.

To be honest, it hadn't been that hard. I think he was avoiding me too.

One thing was for sure, spending time with Chris was like a double-edged sword. No matter what I did or what I thought, it was going to come bite me in the ass, either way.

Cassie had called, telling me that she'd be around for a couple of days, and I needed to see my friends now more than ever. I'd summoned them on a small cafe near downtown.

Anne was the first to arrive. She was looking more like herself in ripped jeans and an off-the-shoulder white blouse. Her red hair was pulled up in a half-ponytail. She was wearing a bold red color on her lips and black eyeliner. She was gorgeous. A few guys turned her way as she crossed through the door and made her way to my table. However, Anne, being Anne, didn't even notice either of them.

"Hi," she beamed at me before taking a seat.

"You look great!" I raised an eyebrow, "And I'm not the only one to think so." I bobbed my head to the right, where one of her suitors was still glancing at her.

She pursed her lips before surreptitiously checking him out. "Ugh," she huffed. "Guys are only good for one thing," I cracked up, "Nothing more." She shook her head, a small smile curving up her lips.

"You're incorrigible." I raised both eyebrows at her.

"Am I?" She tilted her head. Her green eyes glinted knowingly. "Haven't you suffered enough for one in particular?"

My grin evaporated into thin air as my stomach rolled. "That's not funny," I muttered while shifting on my seat.

She smirked before glancing at the menu scribbled on the blackboard behind the counter. "I'm definitely getting an iced latte and a brownie. I had the worst day at work." She shook her head. "There was an annoying customer trying to lower the price of her gown by trying to find non-existent flaws. It was awful." She placed a palm on her forehead. "I deserve two freaking brownies."

"I got it." I stood up before she could protest. The place was almost packed, so she couldn't get up from the table or we'd lose it.

I asked for her order and got a black coffee for myself and a chocolate donut when I felt someone stand extremely close behind me. What's going on? A bit freaked out, I turned around to find Cass smirking at me. "You should be more careful, Farah," she quipped, her blue eyes sparkling happily, just like they always seemed as of lately. I rolled mine. Sheesh. Thanks Cassie.

She got a cappuccino and another donut for her. She knew very well that we would tease her to no end if she didn't get anything else but coffee.

We all settled with our coffees and desserts, when Cassie glanced at me. "So, what happened?"

I huffed. "Can't a girl want to see her friends for a change?"

She smiled. "Of course. But you were adamant that you only wanted to meet us, so I had to ditch my boyfriend for you."

"You live with him." Anne added in a flat tone.

"Still," Cassie pushed on, "I like to go out with him."

Anne groaned. "You guys do everything together. It's so cheesy."

Sensing a never-ending discussion looming around, I blurted out, "I miss what I had with Chris." They both shut up and looked at me. Anne with a panicked expression on her face and Cassie with a big-ass smirk.