14

Stirring, I reveled in the softness of the cotton sheets of my bed. I hadn't opened my eyes but my lips had instantly curved up the moment my limbs moved across the mattress. My lips were still swollen.

My right hand brushed the bottom lip. It had been a long time since I'd felt such warm feelings brewing inside of me. I honestly didn't know what time I'd gotten home.

All I know is that as I was saying goodbye to him in the porch of my house, Chris assaulted me with those nerve-cracking kisses. I wasn't complaining, though. I rather enjoyed them very much. Very much indeed.

We hadn't talked about it. I had no idea what this was, or if there was even a this to begin with. I could only take pleasure on the fact that I seemed to be addicted to his kisses. Every time he pulled away, I wanted more of him. It was unnerving and exciting at the same time.

Softly, I breathed out.

I am royally screwed.

Life with Chris had never been complicated. It was pretty easy. He teased me, I'd retort, and then we would make out. We were always laughing and pushing each other's buttons. However, things were different now. They felt different. They were complicated and unknown. But darn do they feel good.

I rubbed my face with my right hand. Ugh. Not knowing was the worst. Cassie was right, though. Not that I would admit it to her, but I do need to take the plunge and see where this goes. Otherwise, the what if would be looming around in my mind for the rest of my life.

With that thought in mind, I pulled away the covers and got my clothes from my suitcase to start the day. Haley was already in the bathroom, so I left my clothes on my bed and made my way downstairs to get some breakfast.

Dad was finishing his coffee when I walked inside the kitchen. Mom was setting up her lunch. They both glanced at me when they heard me enter the room. "Did you have fun last night?" Mom asked with knowing eyes at the same time my dad pursed his lips.

"At what time did you get in?" His tone was serious, laced with anger and concern.

My feet froze before I reached the table. "I lost track of time, sorry." I gazed at Mom for help, but she was suppressing a smile while finishing her salad. Thanks, Mom.

Dad cleared his throat. "We don't mind that you go out, but we the do ask you to come back home at a decent time. Especially when you have to drive your sisters to school the next day." The lines of his forehead were creased as he said that.

He stood up and left the empty mug on the sink. He kissed Mom on the cheek before sending me the eyes. You did not want to mess up with him whenever he used this stern gaze. And he rarely used it, making it more frightening.

Biting my lip, I scratched the back of my neck as I looked apologetically at Mom. "He's pretty mad, huh?" I scrunched up my nose.

Mom grinned. "He's just acting out like a Dad, sweetie." She closed the lid on her plastic food container and settled it on the edge of the counter. "How was it?" she asked with curious eyes, leaning both hands on the counter, eager to hear the details.

"It was great." I shrugged nonchalantly. "Cassie made me promise her to visit her in New York soon. And we met this Mexican dude that was quite a specimen." I giggled, thinking of Anne's panicked eyes as he kissed her on the cheek when we all said goodbye. He'd kissed us all girls on the cheek, but she was the only one to blush like crazy.

There is something there, all right.

"And?" Mom tilted her head as she pressed on. I shrugged, playing innocent for a moment. "What made you get into the house thirty-eight minutes after Chris' car parked outside?" She raised an eyebrow, clearly enjoying the fact that she had just put me on the spot.