1

I'm happy to come home. I am. I reminded myself, readjusting my seat belt. Again. The tightness in my chest and the sinking stomach were probably due to the flight, too.

It has nothing to do with him. Absolutely nothing.

I was eager to see my family for the first time in months and to talk to them without a screen and thousands of miles between us.

I'm just having homesick jitters. In reverse. Which is perfectly normal.

Nodding to myself, I ignored how my stomach rolled one more time. Perfectly normal.

I shifted in my seat one more time, when the Captain's voice blasted over the loud speakers. "It's 4:50 pm and we'll be landing at Boston Logan international airport in about ten minutes. For your security, please adjust your seat belts and—" Holy crap. Boston

I hadn't come back since I left for college over a year ago. Thirteen months ago, to be exact. Not that I've been counting. I haven't. In fact, I'd adjusted pretty well to California, all things considering. I had a few friends and a lovely job that I adored and everything was great.

Like I'd always expected to.

Going to Berkeley University had been my life goal since I was ten, so it wasn't supposed to be hard when it was time to go and leave my family and friends behind. Only that it was. Because when I was ten, I didn't think that I could find an amazing set of friends or the most incredible guy I could ever dream of. No. Falling in love hadn't been considered. For a ten-year-old planning her perfect life, love would come in Berkeley.

I snorted at that. The old woman seated by my side glanced at me and I faked a smile at her. She didn't smile back. Probably a New Yorker. Californians are friendlier. Way too friendly but not dating material, or at least not the guys I'd met.

Dating only brings you heartache, plus is distracting as hell. More so with the scholarship I'd landed, it was a really great opportunity but I had to keep high scores to maintain it.

The plane lurched as we started to descend, the roar of the engines became louder as we glided towards the landing track. I hate this part. It didn't help to calm my already erratic heartbeats while both hands were holding on to the armrests for dear life. Closing my eyes, I exhaled slowly as the seat belt dug into my belly while the plane completed its descend.

Almost home. Freaking awesome.

After the Captain announced we'd arrived, I stood, bumping my head with the low storage compartment as I did. Great. Pursing my lips, I chastised myself for being so clumsy. Everything is going to be fine, Farah. It's not like you will see him today.

I bit my lip. Okay. It could happen.

He did live across the street from my parent's house. However, that was a year ago, he could have moved out and is living with a new girl and— definitely not helping.

Whatever.

Chris Lawton was out of my life for real. I'd made sure of that when I broke things up with him.

Stop thinking about him!

Muttering under my breath, I arrived at the baggage claim section. Security personnel and airport staff were walking beside me, all looking busy and in a hurry, and while I should have quickened my pace to get my suitcase and meet my family, my feet seemed to drag across the shiny marbled floor. I was the last in line to collect my baggage, taking my sweet time to cross through the automated exit glass-doors. My shoulders felt stiff and heavy, carrying all the feelings I'd been trying to bottle up over the last year.

I should have focused on dating instead of actually studying.

My lips tugged up at this, right at the same time I saw my parents in the distance holding hands, talking to each other, waiting for me.

I stopped for a second to observe them. We skyped twice every week, but nothing beat the feeling of knowing that Mom would probably cut my circulation with her bear hug or I'd get to see Dad's happy smile in real person. The tightness in my chest eased up.

Them.

You did it for them, don't ever forget that.

Who needs guys when you have a loving family supporting you all the way?

They had done everything in their power to ensure that I made my dreams come true. Moving to California and paying my tuition was not an easy task and yet, they never complained. I hadn't physically been with them for all that time because we couldn't afford it. They had tried to spend Christmas in California, but one of my sisters got appendicitis and it they had to cancel the trip.

With renewed excitement, my footfalls gained force as I approached them. Mom looked up first. Instantly, a wide smile spread on her face, making me feel all warm inside.

"Farah!" She stood up, encasing me in a tight hug. Her teary eyes didn't go unnoticed. "I've missed you so much!"

"Me too," my voice came out muffled from her death-gripping embrace, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I missed you Mom!

"She can't breathe," Dad peeled Mom's arms away from me. His chocolaty eyes were soft before kissing me on the cheek. "You've been away too long kiddo."

Why was I feeling all messed up for coming back home then?

It didn't make sense.

"Your dress is ready for tomorrow. We picked it up from the dry cleaner's on our way to the airport." Mom chirped in, but her kind words felt like needles dropping inside of my stomach.

That is exactly why.

Cassie, my best friend, invited me to her father's wedding and her boyfriend and Chris, my ex-boyfriend, were best friends. He'll be there.

"Thanks, Mom," a forced smile made its way as Mom linked her arm with mine.

"Haley and Riley are so excited to see you! They're setting some sort of surprise to welcome you home."

Them, Farah.

You came to spend the summer with them and that's all that matters.

My throat felt like sandpaper as I swallowed hard.

Everything is going to be fine.

Thank you for reading me :)