3

The welcoming feeling faded on my first weekend at home. First, Haley couldn't stop grumbling that she couldn't sleep properly in Riley's room. Despite the fact that they were twins and best friends and they pretty much did everything together.

Bullshit, if you ask me. She was doing fine with Riley; she was just upset that Mom had kicked her out for the summer.

On Sunday morning, she stumped inside my room to get her clothes, making as much noise as she could. Then, she spent all day complaining endlessly at everything and anything.

I helped Mom wash the dishes after dinner. Dad had cooked an amazing barbecue in my honor, and we'd enjoyed the afternoon in our yard.

Mom loved gardening. She was really good at it too. Our backyard wasn't big, but it was filled with exotic plants. My father would complain every time she got a new plant, but in all honesty, the whole garden was beautiful, and his complains didn't last much, anyway.

Staring through the window in front of the sink, my lips curved up as I looked at my sisters playing around with Dad. They were trying to play soccer.

Both girls acted out differently from what I remembered. They'd ditched the dolls for boy-bands and each one had a different haircut. They were identical twins, and as big sister, I'd loved to pick up on them. They both had dark brown hair and chocolate eyes like Dad, and when they were younger, they'd insist on wearing the same clothes and having the same hairstyle and I enjoyed messing up their names. Calling Riley-Haley and so on. They absolutely hated it. But now, Haley had long hair and Riley had a short-bob, making it impossible to screw up their names. Bummer.

"I'm feeling old, Mom." I burst out as I finished scrubbing the last pot.

She chuckled at me. "They are growing up, aren't they?"

I rinsed the pot, enjoying the coolness of the water in my hands as I snorted. "Haley is acting out like a teen!"

Mom shoved me playfully by the hip. "Look who's talking." Her eyes glinted mischievously. It was kind of funny how much we both looked alike. Unlike my sisters, my hair was blond and my eyes were baby-blues like hers. I also inherited her lack of boobs. "Are you ready for tomorrow?"

I smiled at her. Tomorrow was my first day of summer school and I couldn't wait for it to start. Plus, I was meeting my friends in the afternoon. Cassie had vowed to keep it between us, meaning that neither her boyfriend or Chris were bound to be there. Thank God.

"Yes," I said as I wiped my hands in the kitchen towel, leaning against the counter.

Mom took out a mug and poured herself the last remains of coffee from the pot, so we could wash it too. "So, how was Jake's wedding?" She asked carefully. Too carefully. I was sure she wanted to ask if Chris was there, though. She knew he was still a sore subject for me.

Suppressing a smile, I played dumb. "It was great. Marie looked stunning in her wedding dress, and Cassie was radiant, too."

"Yeah?" Mom prodded as she took a sip of her drink. "Did you see anyone interesting?"

"All the guests were over fifty Mom."

She pursed her lips. "Huh. I'm sure there were a few dashing boys. Like Nathan. Or Chris." She finished the coffee, placing the mug in the sink before wiping her hands on the kitchen towel, not really looking at me.

I grinned at her. "They both looked handsome, if that's what you mean." Her blue eyes cut to me.

"Did you see him? How did it go?" She asked excitedly, taking a step closer in my direction.