9

Apparently, dinner with the Lawson men was a common thing in my parent's house. Luke was one of the first people they had met when we moved from Colorado. Then again, he was also a constructor in the same company as my father. Seeming that we were also neighbors, they hit it off pretty soon.

Dad told Mom about the fact that Luke's wife had died when Chris was five years old, and she took it in her to adopt them as friends. She persistently invited them over for dinner and she always tried to outdo herself with her cooking and such. Yes. I could see the resemblance there. I'd gotten the persistent trait from her, that was for sure.

So, it was pretty cool when I met Chris back in that detention room during my first week of school and he turned out to be my neighbor, too. In my defense, I'd been on detention for being late in my first week, and so was Chris. We'd been late for different reasons, but being late didn't seem a dangerous activity for Mom. She didn't mind much about the motorcycles—as long as I wasn't in them—because she felt like she needed to adopt the kid in a way. And she sure as hell didn't know about the street fighting, not that he was into it much in the first place, because since he met me, he didn't mind to switch them for hanging out with me. Also, Chris was always charming and educated around my parents and myself, winning her over in no time.

Tonight wasn't the exception. Mom had gone all the way with the homemade lasagna she'd cooked. My sisters had helped to make a meringue lemon pie too. I'd avoided the kitchen by downloading the photographs in my computer send them to Michael and the kind teacher. My right foot never stopped bouncing as I sat in front of my laptop and set to work.

Despite the enticing aromas emanating through the house, I wasn't hungry. My stomach was in knots by the time Mom called for me.

I took my sweet time to go downstairs, but a soon as I did, she assigned me the task to place the table on the dining room. My chest felt tight as I placed the silverware and plates, thinking how awkward this whole situation was for me. I was just finishing setting up the final touches when the doorbell rang.

My stomach churned uneasily as I heard my sisters running down the stairs to open the it and greet our neighbors. I ignored my racing heart as I took more time than necessary to finish my job. My heart did skip a beat when I heard Chris' deep voice greet them back.

Mom yelled at me to go say hello, and I had to take a deep breath, before trying to put a joker smile on my face.

Everything will be fine, Farah.

Luke looked thinner than how I'd remembered him. His brown hair was filled with gray hairs and I couldn't but notice the dark circles under his eyes. The bright smile that greeted me hadn't changed at all, though. He engulfed me in a tight hug as I patted him awkwardly on the back, trying really hard not to look at his son.

He pulled apart, still holding me by the arms. "You look so grown up, Farah!" He glanced at my mother. "And more beautiful than ever, too."

Mom chuckled. "She is, isn't she?" Flushing like crazy, I stepped back, passing a strand of hair behind my ear. Swallowing hard, I glanced at Chris. Riley was standing next to him, saying something when he looked at me. Our gazes met for a moment, but the moments our eyes locked, I felt like an electric shock passed through me. As a shaky breath left my lips.

Awkwardly, I leaned on the wall, next to the dining room, as Haley grabbed his hand and pulled him to the living room. I followed after him. Dad arrived at that moment and a faint smile played in my face when he stepped closer to me and kissed me on the forehead.

I busied myself by helping Mom serve the appetizers and everything she needed for dinner. When everything was ready, I couldn't find any other excuse not to be with the rest of the party. I stepped in the living room and sat next to Mom, who was laughing at something Luke and Dad were joking around.