Chapter 1: Off-limits

Now to my current reality...

"Hurry up! You're going to be late for your first day of senior year!", my mother called out. "I'm up!", I responded rolling myself out of bed to prepare to catch the two buses and a subway to get to my school. "JAKOBY REIGN MONROE! Get your ass in here!" my mother demanded. "Coming!", I said running into the kitchen with my toothbrush hanging out of my mouth. "Why didn't you put the food up from last night?", she asked angrily. "I didn't even know there was food in here. I ate at Lettie's Diner with Kiki and Ramona last night", I replied completely oblivious that she had brought food home. "You're so irresponsible sometimes I swear! How can I count on you to have my back if you can't do simple things such as this?", my mother asked with anger written all over her face. "You can, I swear!", I shouted trying to sound believable. "If you don't start doing better young lady you are out of here before graduation", she said stomping away in fury. "I promise!", I called out not fully understanding how this was my fault.

It wasn't even anything to get into her feelings about. Whatever! I hurried to finish what I started in the bathroom. After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I grabbed my grey, black, and white plaid uniform skirt from the closet. I pulled my white button-down t-shirt from the dryer and proceeded to put it on. After putting on my black and white worn-out Chuck Taylor's, I scored from the thrift shop I felt ready. I nearly walked out of the house without moisturizing my face and brushing my hair. When my phone began to ring and I saw it was Kiki video calling, I wanted to shout into the phone. This girl's timing was always just awful!

"Shit! Kiki, what?", I screeched through the phone as I was wrestling to put two long braids in my hair. "GIRL, ugh, what's with the TUDE?", she snapped. "Sorry, I'm running a little behind. Do you think your brother could drop me off at the nearest bus stop?", I asked feeling hopeful. "Girl, Tony left about 30 minutes ago. "Ugh! Well, I have to run now. I'm probably going to smell like a little boy by the time I make it to school". I replied finishing up my second braid. "I know you don't want to run to school.  You know you could always ask Sonya", Kiki said stating facts with a slight chuckle. "She doesn't like me and neither does her stuck-up ass momma", I chuckled rolling my eyes at her over video chat. "I just texted her. She said you could ride with her", Kiki said laughing at me. "Thanks, but I rather walk", I said knowing how odd it was the last time it was when I caught a ride with them on those rare occasions. "Stop being stubborn. She used you in the past now use her back", Kiki said winking at me. "Ugh! Fine!", I exhaled frustrated.

I sighed as I walked the two blocks to Sonya's house. I didn't want it to be weird when I made it so I shot her a quick text message.

Me: Hey Sonya. Kiki said she asked if I could bum a ride. You sure it's okay?

Sonya: Good morning and yeah it's fine

Me: Thanks so much for doing this

Sonya: Yep

Her short answer text messages told me all I needed to know. She really didn't want me to ride with her.

As I approached Sonya's home, it was to my surprise that she was headed toward the driver's side with a set of keys to a car I didn't recognize. She gave me a small wave when she realized I was walking up. Since when did she get wheels?

I guess it made sense because today is the first day of our senior year. If things weren't already awkward they definitely were by the time we pulled up to the parking lot. Neither she nor I said anything the whole car ride to school.

It is weird that one day we were thick and thieves and another we weren't even on speaking terms. It was no beef, just a whole lot of awkwardness. I never understood it either. I was chill when I wasn't being goofy.