Chapter 31: Did She Really?

JACQUELINE's POV

"That Booker boy wants to marry Koby?" Marie asked surprised. "Yes, my reaction exactly" I chuckled. "Wow, she must really be putting it on him good" Marie laughed earning a pinch from me. "I've seen those two together. They have that dangerous young love. If they broke up, both of their hearts would be shattered. The fatal attraction could probably explain it best" I replied. "That's what I need" Marie sighed.

Marie was married but not happily. They've only been married for 9 years. I swear her husband made every excuse not to be home with her. Marie buried herself in work just as he did but when she was with her son nothing else mattered. Her 7-year old son is the reason she stays.

"Have you seen Kat? It's my first day back and I hadn't seen much of her since her birthday party at Shaky Bones" I said to Marie. "I guess you haven't heard but she and Veronica had a falling out that night. I think Kat may be looking for another job. Veronica apparently threatened the one she's in now" Marie whispered. "You guys don't tell me shit!"I said exasperated. "Technically, I'm management and I shouldn't be discussing other employee business to a friend or another employee but you didn't hear that from me," Marie said sending me a wink before walking toward the elevator.

It's like Katherine heard my thoughts because she was carrying a tray of coffee in her hands walking at a brisk speed.

"Hey, stranger!" I called out peeking from the other side of my desk. "You're back!" Kat said pretending to be excited. "Okay, what's going on? You don't have to pretend to see me. What happened?" I asked upfront. "What do you mean? I am happy to see you. What are you getting at?" she asked sheepishly. "Veronica?" I asked since I hadn't seen or heard from her either. "So, you did hear about what happened?" she asked slumping her shoulders. "Actually, no. I just realized that I hadn't heard from either of you in weeks and we work in the same office. It's like you two are actively avoiding me. Did I do something?" I incredulously asked. "No, honey of course not. Veronica and I just got into a tussle that's all. Instead of her keeping it out of the workplace, she told our boss about it. I got moved to a different team hence why you haven't seen me. I love my new team too. I'm still pissed at Veronica though.  I couldn't even bear to be in the same room with that conniving whore" Kat admitted passing me a coffee. "Doesn't this belong to someone else?" I asked gesturing to the coffee. "Yeah, it was Veronica's but I forgot I wasn't talking to the bitch. It was a pure act of habit" Kat confessed. "You want to take an early lunch and sort through everything?" I asked sipping the very hot coffee in my hand. "Would you? That would be fantastic. I needed someone to speak to about it. I wanted to talk to Marie but I understand her position in the company. I just feel so angry these days. I'm actually trying to get a reference for another company" Katherine said on the verge of tears. "Hey, I'm your friend and so is Marie. I'll always have an ear for you. Don't leave your job on the account of someone else" I said embracing her in a long hug. "I'll think about it" she smiled before saying goodbye.

Katherine walked away and soon passed my desk with a box of her things. I was happy she liked her new team but it was under unfortunate circumstances that she had to move. She had been working as an accountant for this organization for over 12 years now. Veronica had been with the company for 13 years so she had seniority.

"Trouble in paradise?" Joel asked walking over toward my desk. "It's definitely news to me but I'm glad it has gotten worked out while we were in Aspen," I said focusing on my computer speaking of Aspen, did you enjoy yourself?" he asked leaning over on my desk. "It was lovely. Thanks for showing me around and not hitting on me" I said gratefully. "It's possible to be friends and not think about bending the opposite sex over you know" Joel chuckled. "Good to know but I never think about bending a man over" I joked. "I hope not!" he said falsely appalled. "I am sorry that I didn't know your history with Martin. I'm glad my suspicions about him weren't wrong. His brother Milton raped one of my friends. We tried to get her to come forward but she feared her reputation would be ruined. Martin was a man whore but I never pegged him for one of those guys. I remember Martin constantly having to look after Milton. He was such an asshole" Joel said growing angry. "It's okay. I rather not talk about it, especially at work" I said looking at him side-eyed. "Of course! Don't work too late. Glad you enjoyed Aspen" he said waving goodbye.