Chapter 36: Two Lines, Zero Guesses

Start from the beginning

"Slimy bastard."

"Mhm." Percy went back to staring out the window at the pouring rain.

Annabeth repositioned her spot from laying on Percy's shoulder, to the edge of the couch. "Prophecies have double meanings."

"Yeah." Harry said, barely paying attention.

"Which means that the obvious interpretation isn't necessarily the answer." Annabeth stated.

Harry mindlessly agreed. "Uh huh."

"What did you guys figure out so far in the prophecy?" 

No answer. Annabeth frowned at the lack of response she was receiving. Turning to face Percy, she found him asleep, drooling on the corner of the couch.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Seaweed Brain." No response. Annabeth gave a sly smile, picked up the nearest pillow, and smacked Percy in the face.

Percy jumped, startled from her wake up call. "What?" He asked groggily. Ron looked towards the couple's interaction as Hermione nudged Harry to pay attention.

"What did you figure out in the prophecy?" Annabeth repeated.

Percy sat up straighter. "The line- To bring back from the myth and pain- means that someone brings back Voldemort (the myth) and pain, which is you." 

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "I'm pain?"

Percy froze unsure of how to answer, luckily Hermione saved him. "Because of how much pain everyone felt when you were presumed dead."

Annabeth mouthed oh, and nodded. 

Harry jumped into the conversation. "We also figured that the two half-bloods it refers to is Percy and I."

"Makes sense."

"And the reuniting part, we figured was the wizarding world and demigods." Harry continued.

"Okay. Yeah. Only thing is how do we do that? Not to mention, the whole rest of the prophecy." Annabeth stated.

The trio and Percy exchanged glances, which obviously Annabeth noticed. "What?"

"I can't help defeat Voldemort." Percy sighed.

"What do you mean?"

"I had a dream, and Hecate said I could either save you, or destroy Voldemort- not both. I saved you, cause you're clearly sitting right in front of us, but now that means I can't destroy Voldemort."

Annabeth nodded. "You can't save everything Perce." Percy looked at his feet. "Besides, that's a later problem seeing as we don't even know how to defeat Voldemort."

"Oh! we know how, just... not exactly.... how." Ron said. Annabeth stared confused, while everyone just sort of stared at him. "He has these things, horror cruxes-"

"Horcruxes," Hermione corrected.

"Horcruxes," Ron edited. "Anyways- they're basically personal stuff to him that hold parts of his soul, so we destroy them-"

"And that's one less piece of him to worry about. Makes him more mortal." Annabeth finished.

"Yeah basically."

"So where are they?" Annabeth asked.

Harry tilted his head. "Where's what?"

"The horcruxes."

"We... aren't entirely sure."

Annabeth stared at Percy, Harry, Hermione, and Ron. "Then what on earth have you guys been doing this whole time? Gods, Percy," Annabeth lectured the sheepish looking demigod, "it's been months. This should be over by now."

"Well thanks Captain Obvious, I didn't realize." Percy tiredly shot back. "They," he gestured to the trio, "found a couple already and destroyed them, but there's still others. We also still have like two lines of prophecy that we have zero guesses about."

"Into realm of darkness one will fall and one will lose what the other will gain," Harry stated.

The group sat thinking about the lines. The rolls of thunder prevented the silence from becoming awkward. 

Percy's breathing softly hitched, causing Annabeth to immediately perk up. "What is it?"

Percy spoke slowly as if unsure if he should talk at all. "Uh, years ago, I went on a quest with Thalia, Grover, and," Percy's voice caught, "Zoë and Bianca, to save you and Artemis? Remember?"

Annabeth nodded, remembering Luke and holding up the sky. 

"Anyways, one of the lines in the prophecy was 'One shall be lost in the land without rain."

Annabeth frowned. "Not following." 

"Same here." Harry, Ron, and Hermione agreed.

Percy rolled his eyes. He was tired. He wanted to sleep, not remember quests where people died to help a quest where people would die.

"Basically that line ended up meaning that Bianca died in a junkyard. We couldn't find her so she was lost, and it legit never rained there."

They still stared in confusion.

"So what I'm saying," Percy tried to clarify, "is that into realm of darkness one will fall, I think someone actually falls into darkness."

"But Percy, prophecies aren't literal." Hermione reminded. 

"But they can be." Percy argued back. "I- I think that line prophesies someone's death. And I wouldn't put it past the other to mean that too."

A somber silence fell upon the group in the common room at Percy's interpretation. Rain pounded the sides of Hogwarts, almost as if the gods got bored and were throwing golf balls at the castle.

"Or," Ron ventured, "it means someone falls in the darkness."

"Huh?" Harry said.

"Like it could be someone tripping and falling in the dark. Like over a tree root or rock or something." Annabeth gave a sad smile at Ron's suggestion. "What?" He asked noticing her facial expression.

"It's just," Annabeth sighed. "It's just prophecies, never in my life, have they been so simple."

"Yeah, they always have some sort of, uh, doom, in them I guess you could say." Percy agreed.

Hermione sat thoughtful. "What if darkness doesn't necessarily mean dark, what if it means evil? Annabeth, you said Voldemort was planning to get Percy on his side, what if that line means that he does?" Percy and Annabeth exchanged worried glances. "Into realm of darkness one will fall- Percy unwillingly joins Voldemort." 

"That- actually makes more sense than someone dying." Harry observed.

Ron glanced between Harry and Hermione, and Percy and Annabeth. "I dunno... I kinda like my idea of someone tripping over something in the dark."

Percy and Annabeth remained silent on the couch opposite the trio.

Noticing the lack of argument, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, turned to look at the couple, only to see them gripping onto each other, pale faced, seemingly frozen in terror.