Chapter 28 - Paths

Start from the beginning

The men started to drag Jimin and Jungkook off. Jungkook didn't look at you, but Jimin did. You had never seen his eyes so cold and vengeful. 

You wanted to go to him and explain, but Taehyung pulled you back.

"You need to stay away from them, dove," he said softly. "The veil is gone now."

"What will happen to them?" you asked. "Why the sudden mutiny? And what was Seokjin talking about... wings? Taehyung, please..."

His eyes drifted towards the light of the Eros. With a shake of his head, he turned to leave.

"I need to get to the helm," he said.

You followed, close at his heels. "If you want me to trust you, Taehyung, you need to give me answers. Now."

Taehyung stopped and turned around, hesitating before opening his mouth to say something. He didn't get the chance to, however.

"I need you at the helm, Taehyung," Seokjin said behind you both. "Sail portside."

Taehyung nodded and left you without any answers. Seokjin eyed you for a moment.

"You seem to have a lot of questions," he said. "I assumed you knew all this already."

"I know myths and stories," you replied. "But nothing of this. What will happen to Jungkook and Jimin, and the rest of the crew for that matter?"

Seokjin cocked his head slowly to the side in thought. "They'll be tried. And most likely, since you and Taehyung both brought them in, you'll be tried as well. Should the King of Sirens find favor with you, I can give you a trial myself. Then I decide whether or not you get your wings and be freed from your curse, or I decide to leave you as you are."

He towered over you as he said it, the red light of the Eros illuminating his face. You lightly chuckled, straightening out your hair. 

"Stop trying to be so intimidating," you said. "Is there a problem with being cursed? It's not like I can remember the reincarnation, right? So if I die, I forget everything again and start over?"

Seokjin rolled his tongue over his teeth, he didn't answer.

"I'm not sure how I can be afraid of you," you said, "when I don't know what there is to be afraid of."

He sighed then gave a crooked smile. "Then I guess you'll just have to see it for yourself."

He pointed behind you. You turned and looked over your shoulder to a large cavern sticking out of the water, the red glow bursting from the center of the ceiling. You had never seen such a cavern above the water; as if Aladdin's cave was breaking through the surface.

Seokjin ordered Taehyung to go straight into its mouth. The sounds of the ship echoed against the walls as the tips of the sails scraped the top of the cavern. The sunlight was replaced with the furious red glow around you. You stepped forward to look further into the cave, the patterns on the ceiling a ruby sparkle glow like gems were held in the crevices. Despite the red glow around you, it was somehow difficult to see ahead. You leaned forward to look, but there was only darkness.