8 - Stay the Night?

--Billie's Pov--

Okay. So she wants me to come over because she doesn't want to be alone. That's understandable. Now, how to tell my mom.

I walk into the kitchen to see my mom sitting at the island. "Uh, hey mom?"

She turned back to look at me, "hey sweetie."

"Um. So I'm going over to Emilia's. She wants me to spend the night." She gave me a look, one I understood all too well.

"Just be careful, okay?" She said.

"You're not gonna give me a speech?"

"No. I think instead of keeping you inside you should at least have some normality. I saw you two when we were over there. It was like you've known each other all your life."

"So I can go?"

"Yeah, you can go."

I smile and head back upstairs to pack some clothes and my toothbrush. I was happy she agreed but why did she?

When I got my bag together I said bye to my mom and Finneas before leaving the house. While walking across the street I was stopped by Karen, who was sitting on her porch.

"Hi, Billie." She said as she waved at me.

It was nice of her to stop by and meet us but ever since she did, she'd always get onto us or try to talk to us about something.

"Hello, Mrs. Baxter." I say as I walk up the stairs.

"I hope you're having a good day. I didn't have a good one. The mailman came by, didn't give me the right mail and he told me that my address wasn't on his route."

As she kept talking to me, I knocked quicker.

"Oh, then come to find out my flowers in the back died. I guess I didn't water them enough."

I roll my eyes as I shuffled in place, very impatient and agitated since my nerves were being worked on by Karen. That woman literally has no life and is all up in everyone's business.

I knock again, this time rapidly with two hands. Please answer.

--Emilia's Pov--

I tried my best to clean up the place; fixing the couches in the living room, washing the little bit of dishes that were laying about, and finally cleaned my room.

As I walk down the stairs I hear a few rushed knocks on the door and walk over to open it.

"Hey. Come in." I say, moving to the side to let her in. I closed the door and locked it. I look at her and notice her bag, the same bag she was carrying a while back.

"Thank you. You just saved me from her."

"Yeah, you're lucky I like you. When it comes to Karen it's every person for themselves. You can put that in my room." I say.

She nodded and walked up the stairs. I went into the living room and sat on the couch, waiting for her to come back down.

Soon her footfalls sounded as she came down the stairs and walked into the living room. "So where did your mom go?" She asked, sitting beside me.

"Out of town. On business."

"A mortician that does out of town business? Are you sure she isn't in the mafia?" She jokingly says. I laughed and shook my head, then I remembered her one sided conversation from the other night.

"You know I was joking right?" She says, her hand on mine.

"Yeah, I know. I just...she was acting very weird several days ago. Hell she was acting weird last night when she was packing."