t w e n t y - f o u r

The trip didn't last any longer because every parent of a Decathlon student wanted their kid home immediately. Of course, that meant I was being picked up by the one and only Tony Stark to be lectured about doing the exact opposite of what he said.

I walked off the bus with Peter before he was intercepted by a very worried Aunt May. I watched as they hugged and knew I shouldn't linger.

Looking out across the school parking lot, I saw a black car hidden by the surrounding darkness.

Well this'll be fun.

Opening the back door of the car, I saw who I was already expecting: the one and only Tony Stank.

"So, how was your trip? Did you enjoy playing superhero for all your friends?" I'm asked, not even fully sitting down in the car.

"I wasn't expecting to," I sighed, "it just ended up happening."

He hummed as if agreeing, before asking, "So why, then, did your suit say you went to Maryland and back within 24 hours?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's because these weapons dealers aren't being taken care of like they should be! They have tech based around the stuff used in weapons during the battle of New York. That stuff's dangerous and they're selling a ton of it off radar." I threw up my hands.

"You may not know, but I've mentioned this threat to the FBI so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Cap wants me to keep you on the down low and you're not helping this become any easier."

"Well Cap's not here, is he?" I pushed myself further into the seat and folded my arms in frustration.

"He may not be, but I'm your guardian. And as your guardian, I feel it fit to bring back the power dampeners until this threat has been taken care of." He pulled a familiar set of silver bracelets out of his pockets.

"No! The FBI won't be able to handle this dude! He's got huge wings and has been able to keep his business secret for years. How do you think the FBI can do any better than Peter and I did?"

"I don't know if they will, but I can't have you going out and getting hurt on my watch. You've already gotten a concussion and that's bad enough. We can't have you broken before Cap finally comes or I'll be as good as dead." He pushed the bracelets in my direction again, but when I didn't move my arms in his direction, he sighed. "Look kid, I hate this too."

"You really don't get it, do you? Getting out there and helping people is and escape from worrying about my dad or having to do stupid homework. Don't take this away from me, please."

"I don't really have another option. I'm just doing what I think is best."

Knowing I've lost this argument, I held out my arms in his direction and looked away.

This was a new all-time low for me.

"What about my training with Daniel?" I asked softly and I felt the cool metal across my wrists.

"Self defense only right now. No power related practice until I feel I can take the dampeners off." He locked them in place and moved to his side of the backseat.

The rest of the ride was filled with silence and neither of us were all too happy about where this ended up.

I was walking with Ned the next day in the halls and the televisions around campus were thanking Spider-man and Nova for saving the Decathlon team. We spotted Peter up ahead heading down the stairs in our direction.

"Dude! What's it like to be famous when nobody knows it's you?" Ned asked as soon as Peter's in range of us.

"Crazy dude," he whispered back.

"It's crazy!" he looked around the halls, before asking, "Should we tell everyone?"

"No," Peter and I said in unison.

"Should I tell everyone?"

"No! That's not really a good idea, dude," I said.

"Okay, well, come on, we gotta get to class," Ned announced, and I followed along towards the dreaded Spanish class.

"I'm not going to class," Peter said.

"You're already in so much trouble for skipping the Decathlon though."

"Dude, listen, I figured it out. The wingsuit guy is stealing from Damage Control. What he takes from Damage Control, that's how he builds the weapons. So all I gotta do is catch him."

"But we have a Spanish quiz," I added in, jumping over. I made an exaggerated motion while Ned wasn't looking in my direction to show off my newly acquired power dampeners.

Peter noticed them and deeply sighed when he realized I was out of commission. "Ned, I'm probably never going to come back here. Mr. Stark is moving the Avengers upstate, so when Nova and I bring this guy in-"

I had to stop myself from laughing. Mr. Stark wouldn't even think about making Peter and I Avengers. It's just not gonna happen.

"Dude, you wanna be a highschool drop out?" Ned asked, catching a sad tone.

"I am so far beyond high school right now." He walked backwards and headed for the closest side exit.

"Parker," said our principal, "my office."

Later that afternoon, I walked past the detention room to see Peter staring at the old television with a Captain America video playing.

". . .the only way to really be cool is to follow the rules."

A noise startled me from my thoughts as Peter threw open the classroom door before seeing me.

Our P.E. teacher lazily shouted, "Where are you going? Get back here."

We both looked at each other, before walking quickly up to the first floor.

Stopping by a random set of lockers, Peter suddenly lifted it up and grabbed a bottle of web fluid from a hidden section. After, we walked outside of the school and started in the direction of his apartment.

"So Mr. Stark took away your powers?" he asked.

"Yep. Didn't realize he'd put a tracker somewhere other than my suit."

"Surprised he didn't take away my suit or something like that," Peter shrugged and moved out of the way as a rude person sped by.

"Nah," I shook my head, "He wouldn't do that. This is a bit more personal and relates to my dad, so it's better if I just follow what he says. Plus, I get some fashionable new bracelets that go with anything in my closet!"

Peter laughed before asking, "So I guess that means you're off of patrol this afternoon."

"I'll help you come up with a plan, I just can't go out there to execute it."

After arriving at his apartment, we headed straight towards his room and he pulled on his mask so he could talk with Karen.

"I'm trying to figure out who the guys under the bridge were that night, but I can kinda only remember part of a license plate." There's a pause as Karen responded, "Everything? Yeah, of course it is. Mr. Stark calls the recorded footage the baby monitor protocol."

I burst out laughing. That totally sounds like something Mr. Stark would do.

"See if you can find some sort of record on one of the dudes under the bridge," I said, hoping he heard me over Karen.

"Yes! Karen found one of the dudes. His name's Aaron Davis and he has an address in Queens," Peter shouted out.

"Well I guess that means it's time to visit him," I smiled at a very excited Peter.

I wanted to say a quick thanks for helping get this story to 500 reads. Y'all are really the best. Anyway, hope all of you are doing well!