f o u r t y - s e v e n

"Wasn't that quite the most desirable trip to Europe?" I asked, hand in hand with Peter as we walked back to the crowd of parents waiting at the airport gate.

"Oh yes, they should make that one an annual thing," Peter retorted back, scoffing. "Give people the true experiences of Europe."

I raised my free hand in salesman fashion and said, "Getting hit by a train IS included!"

He laughed at this.

Betty and Ned walked up beside us and Betty commented, "You guys are so cute."

"Thanks," Peter added with a bigger smile. "Uh, I was thinking." He eyed me carefully, before continuing. "I was thinking we should all go on a double date or something."

Ned and Betty eyed each other before saying in unison, "Oh, we broke up."

This came to me as a slight shock. But it also wasn't a huge surprise. Ned and Betty were very different people, so I guessed that this happened as some sort of trip adventure.

"No. What, why?" Peter asked.

I laughed at this. He clearly didn't see how obvious it could've been that they would break up. They clearly weren't upset about it either; neither wore expressions of hate or sadness.

"Men and women grow apart, but the journey they share together will always be a part of them," Ned said.

Peter and I glanced at each other in confusion at his words.

Betty held her hand on his face. "You are so wise."

"Thank you!"

Betty walked off and Ned was close to follow, shrugging once at Peter before leaving.

Walking outside of the airport, I saw Ms. Farina speaking with the police officer outside. Though her focus was on the conversation, I watched her eyes scan the doors every now and again looking for me.

I walked towards her direction and it didn't take long for her to see me.

"Oh! (Y/N), dear! Just when I thought something happened to you. . ." She waddled over in my direction, taking me into an enveloping hug. Mumbling, she added, "Not like there hasn't been enough shit that's happened to you."

"Hey, Ms. Farina," I said, a smile in my voice.

She stepped back from the hug to examine me a bit closer. "I swear. Every time you go on a class trip you keep getting thinner and thinner. What is up with that? Europe has such great food and you couldn't even stop fighting for five minutes to eat something."

I chuckled at this, before letting my eyes wander across the busy walkway. Peter was being greeted by his aunt a few cars down.

"C'mon, child. I have to fatten you up again. Besides, there are some things we need to discuss." She took my hand and led me over to where her car was.

My thoughts wandered as we drove through the ever noisy city. I had just uncovered a lot of my early childhood over the last few days, and it definitely was nowhere close to normal. I mean, who else has been put into a cryostasis chamber at the age of three to keep safe from the dangerous threats of Hydra?

"You've been awfully quiet." Ms. Farina eyed me from the driver's seat, before cursing out some stupid driver.

"Yeah, I found out a lot about my first few childhood years that my dad didn't feel the need to tell me." I crossed my arms, feeling a sudden chill spread. "I mean, maybe he just didn't know how to tell me or when the right moment might be."