t h i r t e e n

A/N: My brain wants to be anywhere but writing this chapter. Maybe this will stay? Not sure if my editor self will keep this after actually finishing this chapter. Who knows *shrugs*

My alarm blared beside me signaling the true end to summer vacation. Do I really have to go to school?

Over the last week, I've spent a bit of time with my friends, but most of it has been spent starting my training with Drumm. I'm definitely sore, to say the least.

"Come on, get up," Daniel proded. I've been on the floor for about five minutes.

"I'm coming. I'm coming," I sighed and got into a sitting position, "You know, your magical sorcery stuff isn't that easy."

"I know, but this is why we practice, so it becomes easier each time you do it. You've already made great strides. On your third attempt, you were actually able to get sparks. That's a good start!"

"Okay fine. I'll get up and try again." I stood and began to concentrate. The sling ring is a little bulky, but I'm getting used to it. Daniel even said I might not need it depending on what we find out about my powers. Moving my hands in a circular motion, the sparks returned as I thought of my room at the old apartment. Opening my eyes, I saw I've actually accomplished something! Stepping aside, I raised my hand ready to high five Daniel. He just stares at it. "Uh, high five?"

He slapped his hand against mine and I jumped as the portal closed into a bunch of sparks.

Daniel laughed and then asked, "Ready to test some other skills?"

We did a lot more combative training that week. Afterwards, I was able to accomplish some simple tasks with the sling ring. We began trying to figure out how to relate those tasks to my powers so I didn't have to rely on the sling ring. Now, I just have to keep it with me just in case. The week went on and more of the training went to actually fighting against him. It was definitely a challenge.

Now I just have to worry about making it through my first week of my sophomore year. Maybe this year will be normal. No mid-year interruptions to fly to Germany and fight against your father's team.

Honestly, that argument was very stupid. Why can't they solve their stupid shit like civilized adults? Oh wait, they're all too childish and stubborn to do that.

Looming in front of me is the giant school of math and science, Midtown High. It takes up a couple blocks. You know how hard that is to do? Actually, it's not that hard when you're a school.

I turned, facing the street again knowing I could run and never come back. Nobody would know! No one I'm close to has seen me yet and-

"Hey, (Y/N/N)!" Oh look, it's Peter. Just my luck.

"Damnit, Parker. Always coming at just the right time," I sighed and noticed Ned not far behind Peter.

"Whoops. I saw you debating about not actually walking into school, so I thought I'd spare you the pain of making the decision and not go to school with you!"

"Aw," Ned butted in, "but who will stick through the second year in a row of having Mr. Harrington with me if you guys aren't there?"

"You see, this is why you should come with us. You can join us in our quest to avenge our father who was killed by a man with six fingers!" I tapped my finger on my temple and grinned.

"Inconceivable!" A new voice added in. MJ walked up to the group, with a nose stuck in a book she purchased at the used book store.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I love referencing mid conversation. It makes things fun.

I can tell she was smirking from behind the book.

"You do realize you offered to run away with loser #1 and loser #2 over here," she said, finally looking up from her book to address the guys.

"Hey!" both respond back.

"At least we are fully into the conversation instead of sticking our nose into the fictional world," Ned spat back.

"Hey now, that's what gave us the beautifully quotable Princess Bride," I jumped in. I really don't need an argument between my friends. School is hard enough.

"But what about the amazingly quotable Star Wars prequels!" Peter countered. "That's way better than anything in the Princess Bride."

MJ and I gasped. Did I really hear this coming from Peter's mouth?

"Inconceivable! I know you did not just say that! I love a good 'I don't like sand' or 'did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise' as much as the next, but you did not just downgrade the Princess Bride in comparison to the prequels."

"I have to agree with Peter on this one. Star Wars is way cooler." Ned just betrayed us all.

"Ned! You have betrayed me!" I hit my chest in fake betrayal, "You seem like a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

"You seem like a decent fellow," Ned said, "I hate to die."

MJ chuckled, "Too late for that one. You're both already dead to me."

"Aren't the both of you overreacting just a little bit?" Peter asked, addressing MJ and I.

"No, you just have poor judgement in the clearly superior book/movie." I shifted the weight of my bag to the less sore side of my body and added, "Maybe we need to watch each movie again. No, not all of the prequels, just the second one, and then compare the two."

"Challenge accepted. Does my place sound good on Friday night?"

We all nodded in agreement. The first bell rang annoyingly in the background, bringing an end to our morning debate. In all honesty, I still think MJ and I won. Well, at least we out quoted them.

"Come on. We better get to class before I have any more ideas on ways to avenge the death of my father by a man with six fingers, or, in fact, either of you," I said, staring down both guys in front of me.

"As you wish," Peter replied, with a soft smile.