15: ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀᴇᴇᴛ

Start from the beginning

I force myself to clear my thoughts. If I spiral into depressing thoughts, it won't be good for anyone. So I just focus on driving and nothing else.

Just focus on driving.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

By the time I get home, the pizza is gone and I feel a little bit better.

Daria's car is in the driveway, and I feel relieved that she got here safely. I know that having her own car is good for her, but I constantly worry about her safety. I mean, she literally just turned sixteen some months ago. I worry, but I trust her. Roxy made sure that she had a good head on her shoulders.

I get out of the car and slowly make my way up the stairs. I take a deep breath, and then I enter my house.

"Daria?" My voice echoes throughout the house.

"In here!"

I quickly lock the door and follow her voice to the kitchen.

Daria stands over the stove, her back to me, and she's stirring something in a big pot. Unfortunately, it doesn't smell too appetizing.

Unwrinkling my nose before she sees, I take a seat at the island. "Whatcha got going on over there?" She stirs whatever substance is in that pot, then turns to me with a big smile with flour on her nose.

"It's a surprise! I know you left me money to order something, but I wanted to cook for you. You cook for me all the time, and I just wanted to return the favor."

My cheeks warm at her words. "That's very sweet D, but you didn't have to go through the trouble." I eye the pot that's bubbling behind her. She really didn't  have to go through the trouble, but I don't have the heart to tell her that.

Daria's eyes suddenly widen and before I know it she's standing directly in front of me with her hands on my shoulders.

"Daria? What's wrong?"

She shakes her head. "Did you find out today?"

I slightly tilt my head. "Did I find out.. what?"

She waves her hand in the air in front of my stomach. "You know, the genders! Did you find out their genders today?"

"Um, no?"

D lifts an eyebrow and squints her eyes at me. "Are you asking me?"

I roll my eyes playfully at her seriousness. "No smartass, I didn't find out their genders."

Daria let's go of my shoulders and slumps against the island. "Thank God!"

What in the world is going on? "What? Was I not supposed to find out the genders today?"

"No, no, it's not that. I just forgot to tell you that I'm planning your gender reveal party with Josie. I was doing research on babies and I found that you could find out gender at 18 weeks. So while you were at your appointment, I was in school freaking out. But you didn't find out, so it all worked out! I can't wait to tell Josie!"

Daria happily skips back over to the stove and continues to "cook", completely missing my baffled expression.

Gender reveal party? This is the first time I'm hearing of it, and who knows how long Daria's been planning it, since Josie only found out this morning.